• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

1982 FJ40 Restoration

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Welp, I decided to go ahead and pull the head on the 40 today. I figured since it had a bent pushrod and a leaky manifold gasket (Found the issues during PM for the 40's only run) I might as well dig in and see what else is up.

Got a lazy start at around noon after a nice brunch with Allison anfter having been out of town for 8 days.

Didn't quite get the head off today since I got caught up in all sorts of other things on the truck I started cleaning. I'm gonna get the coolant pipes, brackets and misc. doodads replated, and am getting the air cleaner powdercoated black again.

Kinda taking my time and de rusting the parts in the tank as I go. It has been working really well. I'll post more pics of the results in the morning. Found a guy that does Cad plating in broomfield, Im gonna give him a buzz monday and take him a box of parts if it seems like a good deal.

Also planning on putting a big order in with Boulder Toyota on monday for all the random gaskets and bolts that are trashed.

Gunn will do the head.

One of the funny things I found was what looked like an old cardboard box piece being used as the thermostat housing gasket. I thought that was pretty funny. There have also been a ton of standard nuts forced onto the metric studs in places. Kinda frustrating but par for the course.

Pics:

1. engine bay before
2, 3.Air rail I got from Elliot. Welded on the last pipe. FIgured I'd fix his and get it recoated. Mine looks like it is going to come off in a billion pieces.
4. Power steering pump from a 60. gonna freshen it up since I am taking stuff to get plated. Might as well get a rebuild kit while I'm at Boulder toyota. It is low mileage and is super tight still.
5. Thermostat housing gasket. Nice. This one made me and Allison laugh a bit. Had Hylomar all over it too. reminded me of my British car days.

Archive Threads:

Rust Removal : http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11093&highlight=electrolytic+rust+removal
Original Purchase: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10885

IMG_2294 (Medium).jpg
IMG_2295 (Small).jpg
IMG_2297 (Small).jpg
IMG_2305 (Small).jpg
IMG_2310 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

ElliottB

That gasket is sweet!

Good to see something in my junk pile may actually be put to good use. It was about 5 mins from hitting the trash can.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Marco,
Who is doing the plating in Broomfield?

Caribou Sandstorm

Hard Core 4+
Hey Marco,

If you get stuck on anything, my buddy Barry from North Carolina just moved here. He rebuilt his 40 from the ground up, it has a Toyota Diesel he imported and installed.

Anyway he might be a good resource also. Not sure if you want a Toyota Diesel but he can get them.

Give me a shout if you want his info.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
You do more with your rig in a day than I do in a month......

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Got it stripped down to the short block. Camera is dead and the charger is at work. I was surprised, but my air rail came off easily. I guess soaking it in Deep Creep and PB blaster overnight helped everything.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the head to gunn for a rebuild and a .050 shave, and the parts to the coaters.

The head gasket looked perfect, and the cylinders look really nice.

Matt, I decided I gotta knock it out, so I locked myself in the garage! It's fun now, but i'm sure the honeymoon will wear off soon.. don't worry.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Is that a Natural light 12-pack gasket? I normally use a Milwaukee's best.

Dude, I think it might be.. I honestly didn't really look at it that closely. :lmao: :beer:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I'm gonna give these folks a buzz. Maybe it'll work out. Never used them or talked to them.

http://www.cadplating.com/

just got back from here. The guy is super nice and does lots of automotive stuff for restos across the country. I'll bring some cards to the next meeting. We'll see what the parts look like this weekend possibly next week. I gave him what totalled out to be 15 pounds worth of stuff.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Everything is out getting worked on.

Now it's time to clean up what's left over.

Cylinders look nice.

Does anybody know if there is supposed to be a second sealing ring on the exhaust manifold cylinder 1 and 6 parts? Mine wasn't leaking before, but it looks like it should have another ring in there.... see the picture.

-marco

DSCN7326 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7328 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7329 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Picked up the majority of the parts tonight. Holy smokes, the cad plated parts look nice. Don't have my download cable (left it at work) so you guys will have to wait for pictures.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Giggidy..

DSCN7341 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7342 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7344 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
you suck.

you doing a full resto on the body? You should so that all the pretty parts can match :D

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wow! Impressive.

You should have had those wheels cad plated.... ;)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I think I kinda have to now. I may have backed myself into a corner.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
What are all the random pieces below your skid plate? Are those carb parts?