• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

1982 FJ40 Restoration

wesintl

RS Moderator
WOW, bling!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Wow. Original wheels look super nice, and the cadmium-plated parts look better than new! You are going to have the sweetest 40 evah!

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Hey Marco, how were those guys on cost for the cad plating? Pretty reasonable?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hey Marco, how were those guys on cost for the cad plating? Pretty reasonable?

It's a minimum of 80 bucks for less than 20#'s of parts plus any heavy cleaning they have to do. All of my stuff was $200 total, and I handed it to them really greasy. You could get it done cheaper if you handed them nice clean parts.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Wow. Original wheels look super nice, and the cadmium-plated parts look better than new! You are going to have the sweetest 40 evah!

It's cool yes, but now I fell like I gotta keep it up on the rest of the rig. I am stoked about how it will turn out though. thanks everybody for the props :)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I think some contrast on the 40 is needed. The motor will look like its fresh from Toyota but the rust holes in the body have got to stay. :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The seats look nice too....and have heat...
DSCN7348 (Medium).JPG
DSCN7349 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Hey Marco...those parts look great!!!

I think you're gonna need to change the title of this thread so we can follow the full resto.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I've been out of town and missing all the progress. Great Job Marco!! :thumb::beer:

Did you get the powder coating done at the same shop that did the cad plating?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I've been out of town and missing all the progress. Great Job Marco!! :thumb::beer:

Did you get the powder coating done at the same shop that did the cad plating?

thanks Martin, thanks EVERYBODY!!

aero propeller did the cad plating www.aeropropeller.com or http://www.cadplating.com/ they also apparantly do powder coating, but I went with Powder Coating Specialties in Golden for the powder coating. They had a good price per wheel ($35) and they were close to Allisons work so it was easy.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hey Marco...those parts look great!!!

I think you're gonna need to change the title of this thread so we can follow the full resto.

Good point, I was wondering about that. I guess it might make sense to keep it all here instead of doing multiple threads. Can a moderator change the subjet to "82 FJ40 Refresh"?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Good point, I was wondering about that. I guess it might make sense to keep it all here instead of doing multiple threads. Can a moderator change the subjet to "82 FJ40 Refresh"?

Done. :thumb:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It's been a while, the holidays meant spending time with the 60 so I had to leave the 40 alone for a bit..

Today I started working on it again.

I scored a low mileage power steering pump on mud. Bought a seal kit from NAPA and after losing a spring or two finally got it all back together. Thanks Martin for the pump you gave me to steal parts from! Lots of people say not to rebuild them, but this was a low mileage one so I went for it. The front bushing was nearly new looking so it turned out nice. I'm excited about it.

I also got a stock power steering box from Justin (bruiser) in the club. It was leaking for him so he went the minitruck route. I was excited to get my hands on a stock one so I went for it. I took it apart today and it looked nice and relatively clean on the inside. The only thing that took me by surprise was all those little balls in there. I practiced putting them all back in and finally figured it out. with a little grease it works fine.

I did notice that the teflon ring was damaged a bit so I called our friends at Boulder Toyota to order the rebuild kit. We'll see what it has when it comes in.

In the mean time I got the head all back on and torqued, got the valve train back on and torqued, and stuck on the air rail. It's starting to look like something again.

It's slowly getting there...

IMG_2714 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2717 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2719 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2720 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
The seats look nice too....and have heat... except the headrests look dingy now...

Marco, did you have these recovered? If so, who did them? Want to have Zach's Pig front seat redone and not sure where to go for reasonable cost but still get quality workmanship.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
welp, I got the whole motor put together finally and started trying to tune it. I finally realized that the intake/exhaust manifold gasket is leaking again. I think I overtightened it all and made the intake manifold flex out from the gasket surface where there are no bolts. Bummer.

I almost have it all the way apart again.

anybody used the remflex gaskets here? I am tempted to try one instead of the OEM one this time..

all that and the power steering pump started leaking like a sieve from the shaft. Got another one from NAPA and it doesn't really seem to pump, I have no power steering. maybe I messed up the steering gear box rebuild somewhere.

ick.

Last edited:

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
anybody used the remflex gaskets here? I am tempted to try one instead of the OEM one this time..

I used an OEM gasket, put it on dry and have exhaust leak. Yesterday, Air Randy had some 1/2 washer setups that we swapped on - it was an improvement but still an exhaust leak. Randy is thinking that a second gasket and some high-temp copper rtv would take care of it - but I'm going to give the REMFLEX a go. I just ordered one last night. I'll be putting it on as soon as it gets here. From everything I've read, they work great when installed properly.