80's Tech Day

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Starting Friday evening through Saturday we will be going through Sarah's 80 (LX450)

We will be rebuilding the Front Axle, seals have gone out and fluid and grease are mixing

Front Brakes Rotors and Pads

Rebuild Rear Axle - Brakes and Rotors

Flush Brake Fluid

Flush Power steering fluid with a vacuum bleeder.

We don't need help getting this done. I will be teaching Sarah how to do it. But I know there are a lot of you new 80 owners around here and your welcome to come by and watch if you want. MBrodis came by to show me the first time and I thought I would return the favor. Seeing on the internet and in person are two different things.

This work would likely cost about $2500- $3000 in a shop. about $450 in parts and consumables and the rest is labor. If you don't know the history of your rig, this is a majority of getting it baselined. What would be left is Rad Flush, Oil Change, Tcase drain and fill and Tranny drain and fill.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So tonight at 6PM we will tear down Sarah's front axle and clean it out.

Tomorrow morning we will put it back together, do the front rotors and pads and then start on the rear axle.

Not looking for help, just posting up if one of you new 80 owners want to see the job before you undertake it.

6170 So. Newark Way
Englewood, CO 80111

My phone number is in the roster

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I should mention that the 40, 60 and 80 series front axles are similar in how you go about doing this job.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
As are minitruck solid axles. Don't pay a shop to do it!

BPMOU

Hey Ken,

Wish I didn't have plans this weekend, I'd like to see how this is done since I know I'll need to do mine pretty soon. Have to work tonight and then have to go out and shoot my limit of doves in the AM, and the wife has some things that she wants to do tomorrow.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I SO would like to come see this done again (watched Ben "Obiwan" the master do the 80) but this is a baaaad weekend for me for anything not family related :(

60wag

Rising Sun Member
If I was closer, I'd definitely be up for it but I'm currently working on the 60 to complete the sale - just some minor stuff like pulling the ham radio. I've actually got a Cruiserdan box siting there in the garage with my 80 axle bits waiting for some attention but maybe later this weekend. I still need to get grease. What do I need? Do you use a different grease on the birfs and the wheel bearings ?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
We started last night and tore it all down. Then we started late this morning and finished mid afternoon with the front axle and Brakes. There is always something though. Expanding the second caliper to put the 100 series pads in and the piston seized all the way out. All done but the last little thing.

Thankfully Oleg has a Caliper I am going to buy from him tomorrow.

I am really proud of Sarah she hung out through the whole job doing one wheel while I explained and then did the other wheel. Now she has done a front axle job.

We elected to punt on the rear axle for another time. I'll flush the brake fluid as soon as we get the new caliper on and then we will be good to go.

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Nice, congrats ROD!