• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

80 Series Engine Cooling Issues

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Up till now the LX has "seemed" to be fine in the engine cooling department. On the way out to Moab draggin the popup the temps climbed to a max of 215 degrees. On the way back though on Vail Pass and Eisenhower with the longer and steeper haul the truck got up to 225 degrees (1st gear, 25ish mph, 4000 rpm).

I posted up a question on MUD about the max engine temp (MUD Link) and Cary has been providing some info.

I've read this before but apparently on start up the fan should "roar" for awhile and then quiet down. Well, I don't know if I have a roar or not. Can any of our experienced 80 series owners give me a hint for what I should be listening for? Or maybe at the next meeting or before I could meet up with someone close to compare our start up roars :hill:

Both my LX and FZJ80 sound about the same on startup so either mine are fine or both have issues :(

As always, TIA for the help!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It sounds like a jet plane is flying overhead. I usually hear it when the truck's been on for only a little while, it's not quite hot, and I'm starting up again. Like if I idle for a minute backing out of the garage, it'll really do it when I start up again to drive back in.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
...Like if I idle for a minute backing out of the garage, it'll really do it when I start up again to drive back in.

<HIJACK>

It's much less expensive to get the rig out of the garage your way than mine! :hill:

</HIJACK>

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Call Dan-The-Man and order one of the Blue fan clutches. Even if yours isn't toast, the Blue design is better. One of the improvements is that the original clutch only has two stages of lockup; the newer one has 3. There's a thread on mud somewhere that calls out the improvements.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Call Dan-The-Man and order one of the Blue fan clutches. Even if yours isn't toast, the Blue design is better. One of the improvements is that the original clutch only has two stages of lockup; the newer one has 3. There's a thread on mud somewhere that calls out the improvements.

Just don't let Tim take the old one off! :eek: :lmao: :bolt:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
:doh:

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
The original fan clutch on my 94 works great (knock on wood). It stops rotating immediately if I spin it by hand, roars on start up, I can stop it with my hand when it's cold and it locks up when it's hot. I was going to change it to the Hayden I had on my 93 but the Hayden doesn't immediately stop rotating when I spin it. The LX's fan also roars, but rotates 2-3 fan blades when I spin it so the Hayden will prolly go on it. The 94 has the OEM aux fan on it and should be good to go.

Is your fan shroud tight?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks all...I'll have to play with it next week and see. On my '99 Durango it was REAL obvious when the fan kicked in. Not only from the sound but from the serious loss of power. I get nothing like that on either the 80 or the LX but maybe it is more subtle (although based on Tim's description it doesn't sound like it :)).

As for the shroud. I'll check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it is nice and tight. Temps today doing some running around never exceeded 200 and stayed mostly right in the 193-198 degree range where the LX seems to like to stay most of the time. I tried spinning my fan and it would move/spin but not freely...

Guess it might be time to just do both the LX and 80 and be done with it.