Wanted 80 Series Drivers side mirror

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
It appears someone bumped my driver side mirror in a parking lot. It was already ill prior to this knock, but this one put it to death.

EDIT: I was able to fix my mirror enough to use it but the housing is still cracked, so definitely looking for a complete uncracked mirror housing.
AD67A417-C353-4F8C-8F8E-A9751C0516CA.jpeg

1D4DD8E3-02B6-427A-9C70-F1B04AB6BDC1.jpeg

It will no longer hold detention position and just flails in the wind. If you can help…either with fix advice or with a replacement side mirror, please let me know. Color does not matter.

TYIA

Last edited:

Coyote

There’s a spring in the base that is held in place by a little metal tab that hooks over some cheap metal. I’ve had two just break without influence from any bumps or nudges — sometimes they just let loose when the cheap metal cracks or fatigues — if the rest of your mirror is in good shape you can do an easy base swap. if not, then a complete replacement is in your future ;) hope that halps ya

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Very helpful. When you say base swap, are you saying I have to find a new lower piece? Or just the metal internal piece? Maybe I can find something on MUD with pictures?

my mirror housing is cracked so ideally I can find a whole mirror from a donor? But would be nice to fix it enough to drive it.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@LARGEONE reach out to @irbis, I can’t say with certainty that he has what you need but it’s very likely.

Coyote

the base swap is just the section that bolts the the door — it‘s a complete assembly and has the spring and retainer mechanism all connected ( that part has perished on yours ) -you can swap your current plastic housing and mirror/motor over to a replacement ( if you can find one ) I was just offering that up as an alternative to a whole mirror etc……..you may check mud to see if anyone has successfully repaired it? I have not been able to personally but thats not saying much LOL

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
This is helpful. My mirror surround is also cracked so I’ll look for a whole mirror replacement, but I did find the base for sale on eBay if I have to go that route? Thank you for the explanation!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
The ones on rock auto were pretty high quality and cheap iirc
I wonder if Rock Auto ships to Broomfield yet? Will have to check that?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I got these about 8 years ago and they have worked fine.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
My driver side cracked and was flopping around. I was able to repair it with a length of the threaded metal tube that is used in table lamp assemblies. The tube, several nuts and washers hold the mirror in place and compress the detent spring. Run the wires through the tube.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Hmmm...definitely some options! The mirrors that Dan linked to seem to be all over ebay as well, so it's good to know that they work ok! I'm going to have to remove it to try to understand how the bottom spring piece works and see what option to go with. Since my upper mirror housing is cracked, I'm leaning toward a full replacement, but I will see if my current one can be rigged to work for a bit?

@60wag...is your mirror now FIXED in place? Or, does it still swing back in if needed?

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Ii works like original - stays where where it belongs and folds in when needed.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Excellent! I've never taken them off before so it will be a learning experience. I have to take them off at some point to replace the belt molding anyway so might as well practice now :)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I removed the top from the bottom without taken the bottom part off the door.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
My driver side cracked and was flopping around. I was able to repair it with a length of the threaded metal tube that is used in table lamp assemblies. The tube, several nuts and washers hold the mirror in place and compress the detent spring. Run the wires through the tube.
Bruce…this info was golden! While I still want to replace the outside shell because it is cracked, I was able to use Bruce’s advice above to fix the mirror until I find the right replacement. I used a light fixture threaded hollow rod piece to compress the spring. The hardest part was finding the correct threaded nuts. Turns out they are 1/8 IT which Is a very fine thread pitch, used for pipe? After finding these at Jax the rest of the fix was easy. I used red lock tight on the nuts so hopefully they don’t work themselves loose.
54FB60FC-FCAB-4AD5-8D12-D945BA225A46.jpeg

CC713CEC-B064-4B70-9543-50C4B9735A9A.jpeg

DD7A2C9A-75FB-4797-A64C-F89241052104.jpeg

3485C1CD-4455-478A-90AF-799117F5CA04.jpeg

0B1B54B6-E8A4-4758-AF2B-3B3B46C7461A.jpeg

Last edited:

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Unfortunately, the housing is cracked in two separate places, so I will keep looking and will adjust my first WANTED post.

A5BBAE80-7339-43B0-A87B-D37BF83A8DC3.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
the base swap is just the section that bolts the the door — it‘s a complete assembly and has the spring and retainer mechanism all connected ( that part has perished on yours ) -you can swap your current plastic housing and mirror/motor over to a replacement ( if you can find one ) I was just offering that up as an alternative to a whole mirror etc……..you may check mud to see if anyone has successfully repaired it? I have not been able to personally but thats not saying much LOL
This actually makes sense now that I have taken it apart completely and see how it is put together. Thank you for sharing this.