80 owners, cheap and easy head light mod

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've had the HIR bulbs for a couple years now. Those, with Christo's harness, make a world of difference over stock. good stuff!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Hulk said:
Which John Deere dealer, Ken?

yeah, I would like to grab a couple of these as well...

T

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I called the one on Parker Road, just south of Mississipi

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Me too! Someone see if we can get a volume discount.

Ken, why 4? What bulb do you use for hi beams?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
4 because I have 2 LX450's

I already ordered and paid for mine. $ 10 each vs $30-$40 for the same thing elsewhere. That's because here you are buying a bulb for a tractor and elsewhere you are buying a bulb for an expensive truck. Turns out they are both the same part.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
OOOOOHHHHHH,.....head LIGHT mod.....ok, that makes more sense..... :D

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Romer said:
I called the one on Parker Road, just south of Mississipi

Would you supply the exact name and phone number, please? Is it Four Season's Outdoor Supply at 1330 S. Parker Rd?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
High beam HIRs, 9011, came stock in the Avalanche, Viper and a few more. They are available from the GM dealer, Part #15094219. They are about 18.00 each.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the info Ken...Saw the John Deere tip over on MUD but I was coming up 'dry' in my search for any local places to buy these...Now, let's hope the place doesn't catch on and up their price :)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Shark Bait said:
Would you supply the exact name and phone number, please? Is it Four Season's Outdoor Supply at 1330 S. Parker Rd?

That's it. I used dex online to look up the number typing John Deere in, but thats the place.

I am only changing low beams right now, but thanks for the tip on the High beams Mike. I see on Mud your checking to see if they are HIR's.

My Hi beams are fine. The low beams could use improvement.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Chris, if you order for yourself, order a couple for me. I can go pick them up myself or just give you the money.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I feel bad for Chris. I showed up to pickup my bulbs after I called and they said they were in and he was there leaving. Apparently the parts guys got us mixed up and told him to come in, but figured out when he got there they were for me.

It was a real easy mod to swap them. Just trim the tab like it says in the mud thread.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Don't feel bad at all, Ken. It was the shop that told me wrong. I'm grateful you found the place and posted up. Otherwise I might have waited and not done this mod. I may run by Christo's tomorrow and pick up the harness, too.

Hulk said:
Chris, if you order for yourself, order a couple for me. I can go pick them up myself or just give you the money.
Matt, I just saw your post, but I will call the guy tomorrow. I told him he ought to order another half dozen or so and that there would be others who would want them. He said it would be three business days from Moline, IL, so I'm not expecting anything until next week.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
I used my mini pliers to snip the tabs down to size. Takes less than a minute. Light's lots better than what I had before. How much brighter does Slee's harness make HIRs?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Jenny Cruiser said:
How much brighter does Slee's harness make HIRs?
Nakman swears by it. For $40 if it makes things a little brighter it's good by me.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The harness makes it so your lights get power direct from the battery, instead of after swimming around a much longer, more convuluted maze of wiring. Also the wiring is thicker than stock.. so you get less resistance, better current flow, etc.. someone better at OHM's law than I can perhaps offer you a better explanation but that's it. The harness also makes plugging in an aftermarket set of lights super easy. Plus it's yellow, so that's gotta be worth something.

It's only $40 now? Dang I think it used to be double that.. I think I paid ~$120 for the harness, accessory light kit, & factory switch. but that was a couple years ago. There's also a guy on Yotatech who sells these (Roger?) but they're more for Runners though I suspect he could make them for an 80, heck maybe they just work. But he's got a good web site that explains the benefits if you want to take a minute to search for it.