• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

7th Annual Father's Day Run

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Romer said:
The accidents happen when the driver tries to move while people are on it, that is the no-no.
That is a most excellent point Ken! In fact, something that we should always stress during any driver's meeting is to STAY AWAY FROM ANY MOVING VEHICLE! Rigs can slip sideways unexpectedly, they can lurch, and rocks and debris can get shot back from under the tires. There was an instance at Moab where I was spotting a lady and she slid sideways and got tippy. I suddenly realized I was on the downhill side of a potential flop and ran like hell!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think we acted appropriately and don't see an issue with Jumping on Bills truck until we had it secured with a strap. The accidents happen when the driver tries to move while people are on it, that is the no-no.
Jeff beat me to it on the comment. Yep, what everyone did was perfect, I gotta tell ya it felt soooooo much better just to feel that truck move away from the pivot point. As I review the pix, I feel a little silly, as a wheelstand ain't no thang. But it did NOT feel good to be right at the pivot point, per the butt gauge, and the inclinometer over 30*, and all said, I was in no mind to risk the Chili. Flopping does not fit my definition of fun. I probably could have turned into it and stopped but still... just don't wanna go there. $$$, if not in addition to injury.

As Oleg was instructing me though, one more foot forward and the right front probably would have come down.
Unless a tire slipped on those dusty rocks... Oleg was patient with my fear factor moment.

One more rule of thumb: make a comment to all drivers that THEY (and secondarily the spotter) are in charge. That is, the driver is primarily responsible to ensure no one is on the rig before it moves. That's why I yelled, "CLEAR!! Truck moving!" and did a visual before I moved.

Great run! Even my wife had a great time. Doug (11thCav) it was great to have you there, look forward to seeing you at a meeting!

BTW- I should have said it during the day- THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
Great run! Even my wife had a great time.
As I showed the photos to Linda, she asked that I take her on this trail, she really liked the photos from the meadow at the top. Since she's afraid of heights (shelf road going down to G-Town), I think Bill Moore might be a better choice.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I won't tell her about the shelf road going to Bill Moore if you don't...

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Red_Chili said:
I won't tell her about the shelf road going to Bill Moore if you don't...
ooooops I forgot about that. It's been a while since I've done that trail; I don't recall that it's quite as much of a drop off?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Red_Chili said:
Jeff beat me to it on the comment. Yep, what everyone did was perfect

I respectfully disagree. There is no reason to be on a truck PERIOD. Accidents happen at anytime. Not just when your moving. Your foot can slip off the brake, another person jumping on the truck can shift the weight, someone can slip off the truck, jumping off someone can twist and ankle, loose footing and hit their head, etc. All when it's stopped.

I'm suprised you let this occur Bill. Another accident will happen if we let this continue. A strap is the only answer.

my. 02

Sorry to hyjack the report Jeff. It looked like another sucessful spring creek run. :)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
wesintl said:
Sorry to hyjack the report Jeff. It looked like another sucessful spring creek run. :)
No worries mate, not much of a hijack, it's in context of what happened on this particular run. I tend to agree with you, it would have been safer if everyone had simply stayed away from the rig. Bill, strapped inside is going to be in a safer place than anyone on or near the truck outside.

When it actually happened I was too far away to even hollar at people, had gone back to my rig to fetch my lunch. When I snapped the photo I was literally on the run heading back to the garden. By the time I got there, Oleg had gotten out a strap and he and Yuri had stabilized Bill's rig.

I would like to see some more photos though...Matt Miller, did you and your dad get any good ones?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
wesintl said:
I'm suprised you let this occur Bill. Another accident will happen if we let this continue. A strap is the only answer.

my. 02
I let it occur as a stopgap until the strap could be placed.

For such a situation I would not imagine it fits a 'if we let this continue' level of intervention into a dangerous, foolhardy situation; comparable to, say, drinking on the trail, firing weapons, reckless endangerment, driving off marked trails, etc. At least I would hope our club runs would not become that, um.... well-regulated.

FWIW, another accident will happen if we let 4x4ing continue- it is a recreational activity with danger involved which can be minimized, but not eliminated (note my avatar- if I want to be truly safe, shame on me for doing that). Every situation has clear black-and-white issues, and gray areas. IMHO, moving with people on the truck is never OK. People counterbalancing (up to but NOT including the truck actually starting to roll, and certainly not including being on the downhill side) is a gray area and it just depends.

Last year's run on Hole in the Rock, for instance, included a very well-built Toy pickup who dropped a wheel off the side and was balancing on two wheels. He was freaking out, with good reason. I reached up (standing on the uphill side of course), pulled his bumper down with minimal effort (one hand, if that gives you some idea of his 'tippiness'), and he regained enough composure to slowly back out. I would do it again; I would not leave him in that situation while I hiked back to the truck to get a strap. Composure can lead to better judgement.

Sometimes doing nothing is as dangerous as doing something. You picks yer dangers.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I brought my camera but for some reason didn't really feel like taking many pictures this time. My dad took some but I haven't seen them yet; I'll post them up once I get them. Some of them look exactly like a couple you already posted.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wes, based on being right there and seeing his rig, it was the right thing to do. In some situations doing that would be wrong and others it would be right. It's hard to tell from the pictures. We first got on the drivers side and pushed up to keep it from tipping and made sure it was stable and not going anywhere, then a couple of people jumped on the other side. I personally think we would have been OK with the pushing from the drivers side by itself, but I don't think those who jumped on where in danger. Bill was getting nervous and I still feel we made the right call based on the position and stability of the vehicle. I agree it is in the grey area.

Some photos. Trying to get the hang of iPhoto, Photoshop Elements, on the Mac.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0050_web.jpg
    IMG_0050_web.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 313

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Cool pic, Matt, good composition. Thanks for sharing (and allowing me to steal it for my desktop).

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Rzeppa said:
... Nice driving too ;-)
Uh.. Well, you are being generous. That was right before I picked the line that led to me being tippy which led to jungle-gym climbing which led to controversy which led to....
DOH!:homer:

This is obiviously a tough question and situation if you are the person behind
the wheel. acting to quickly could obiviously create problems for those trying
to help,not acting quickly enough,well thats obivious! so i have to agree with
bill morgan/red chili on this one, its really a judgement call on all involved,i
dont think you can make it a hard fast rule not to come to some one's aid!like
bill stated about the situation last yr. with a guy in a taco who had slipped 2
wheels off,his quick action proably saved that guy,so where do you go from
here?

Doug Tebbe
96 Tacoma,arb r/locker,4 real steel sliders,pro comp 4" lift

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Regards the pickup last year, it certainly saved his interior!
(if you take my meaning...)
Good to hear from ya, Doug- look forward to more runs, and you should come to a meeting sometime! First Weds of every month at Stevinson Toyota in Golden.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
gcmandrake said:
Bill,

I have a couple of more shots, if you'd like the full res pics.

Matt
PM sent

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Good to see ya Doug here on the forum! Glad you made it to the meeting earlier this month so we could help ya find guys to wheel with! Anyway here's some pics I just got from my dad:

Attachments

• HPIM0704.jpg
    HPIM0704.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 261
  • HPIM0705.jpg
    HPIM0705.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 254
  • HPIM0706.jpg
    HPIM0706.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 266
  • HPIM0707.jpg
    HPIM0707.jpg