Found 60 Series transmission to split case bolts

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Last piece of the puzzle for my t-case refresh. Like I mentioned in the post about the flywheel, I have a spare H42 and I’d like to build this spare t-case onto it while both are on the bench. But I need the bolts to attach the front half of the split case to the H42.

This is an early 60 with no spacer, so I need the discontinued shorter bolts. I’ve heard there are off-label substitutes from Toyota that work but so far nobody has been willing to give up their secret on that. Don at Groove has come up with nothing and I’ve even dug into making sense of part numbers and whether or not they indicate bolt hardness, width, and length - they kind of do, but don’t 100% follow a pattern. Not enough to be certain.

Any help (or bolts) appreciated!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Isn't there a chart of bolts in the FSM? There is in my 1991 FSM I know (I attached the PDF from it).

It gives you a bolt class and torque. So couldn't you then infer from the torque it gives for these bolts what class they expected?

Or, if you have your original bolts you could look at the ticks on the bolt head to tell this, too.

Attachments

• 8standard.pdf
    46.8 KB · Views: 45

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
The originals are still under the truck that I’m daily driving, and therein lies the issue with trying to build a whole spare assembly on the bench to swap in! Yes, those charts are great, but without holding the bolts in my hand I don’t know the diameter, length, thread pitch, or hardness. I can probably deduce those things from taking a lot of measurements of the depth and diameters of the holes in the transmission and adding in t-case wall thickness, but ultimately Toyota’s parts system doesn’t provide those details in the parts descriptions so I can’t even try to find the off-label part numbers anyway.

Conundrum!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What is the bolt head size? I assume it's a standard part so since Toyota uses JIS bolts you know then it's got to be a M10-1.25 or whatever. Then you can just buy a few length flanged or captured washer bolts from AAA or harvest OEM from a junk yard. It's just a bolt, nothing super special like head bolts, right?

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver No idea on the head size. They’re obviously going to be specific lengths and thread pitches. I could go get some bolts at AAA, try them, go back and get some different ones, repeat repeat, etc until I find the right ones (and spend $$$ in the process). And I don’t think AAA has any JIS stuff to my knowledge. They’re also two different lengths from what I can tell so that would add time. My thought was somebody on the forum would either have some or know a good sub.

FYI no 60s in junkyards currently, not to my knowledge. Trust me, I’m always looking haha.

RDub

Speaking of bolts, I’m curious what other folks have done for thread sealant/lock on the flywheel bolts. The holes go all the way through the crankshaft flange, but I don’t recall the FSM mentioning sealant on the bolts.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Speaking of bolts, I’m curious what other folks have done for thread sealant/lock on the flywheel bolts. The holes go all the way through the crankshaft flange, but I don’t recall the FSM mentioning sealant on the bolts.
Good question. I planned on blue loctite but haven’t read anything definitive.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Not sure about 60s but my '76 2F uses locking flanges, each one has two of the 6 bolts go through it then you fold up an ear to lock it similar to the star washers on the locking nut on the front hubs.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Well guess who’s a dummy? Me. My spare t-case came with a small box containing the sleeve for the input shaft (where a PTO gear would go) … and further down in the box are the bolts I needed. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks everyone nonetheless.

RDub

Not sure about 60s but my '76 2F uses locking flanges, each one has two of the 6 bolts go through it then you fold up an ear to lock it similar to the star washers on the locking nut on the front hubs.
Is there a risk of oil leaking along the threads? I’m curious if a sealant is used for that purpose. At the relatively high specified tightening torque maybe the threads seal themselves?

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Is there a risk of oil leaking along the threads? I’m curious if a sealant is used for that purpose. At the relatively high specified tightening torque maybe the threads seal themselves?
The FSM has very detailed assembly instructions and, if necessary, informs you of needed sealants where required.

RDub

Thanks on the no sealant. The FSM does not call out sealant, and is detailed, but other vehicles I’ve had in the past have sometimes called for red loctite to both lock and seal the threads. Just making sure the FSM method is what experienced F/2F wrenches have figured out works best to prevent oil leaks. FSM method it will be when mine comes out soon for rebuild!

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
As far as loctite, I avoid Red anymore a biscuit to get off (don't ask). Blue quite often, but there is an Orange one as well. It's in between Blue and Red per their information that I have started to use, example spacers. Just my 2 cents.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Something to think about regarding flywheel bolts.

The part number for the OEM bolts on my Tacoma is 90105-10294.

90105-10294 .jpg

So the thread lock Toyota puts on new bolts is red. That doesn't mean it's Red Loctite necessarily.

In any case, I've used Red Loctite when I use them, which is a small sample size. Maybe twice I've reused them. I don't remember on Imelda what I did but on my Tacoma I bought new. They look to me like they stretch to yield, sort of like mini head bolts, and that seemed plausible since the FSM says they are not reusable.

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Something to think about regarding flywheel bolts.

The part number for the OEM bolts on my Tacoma is 90105-10294.

View attachment 123995

So the thread lock Toyota puts on new bolts is red. That doesn't mean it's Red Loctite necessarily.

In any case, I've used Red Loctite when I use them, which is a small sample size. Maybe twice I've reused them. I don't remember on Imelda what I did but on my Tacoma I bought new. They look to me like they stretch to yield, sort of like mini head bolts, and that seemed plausible since the FSM says they are not reusable.
FWIW I ordered brand new flywheel bolts and they don’t have any thread locker on them. Wether or not installing your own is recommended in the FSM or by general rule, I don’t know. I’ll research that when I get there. I still have to put the t-case together! Maybe I should start a build thread for this project … although it’s probably old news to most people on here who could rebuild a t-case and replace a clutch & flywheel blindfolded.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I only used an 05-15 FSM and parts as example. YMMV of course. But I don't think the basics are that much different. Flywheel storing significant energy hidden away in a tough spot for temperature and vibration.