5th Gen 4Runner skidplate questions

WillysManVan

Rock Stacker
Hello,

The terrain is rocky as hell here, so I'd like the forums advice on skiplates.

I am looking at ARB (thin aluminum and cheap) CBI or RCI.

Any preferences or better ideas and why?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
RCI is local, up in Loveland. Good stuff.

I have CBI stuff. They're up in Idaho, long time Toyota support, good stuff, too.

ARB is good, well developed stuff, it will fit and the quality is top shelf.

Steel 3/16" is great but heavy. I have a 3/16" front skid, CBI in fact I think. It's got some dents and scars. Weight is a downside, you will need to start considering impact to spring rate when you put 3/16" skid plates on your truck. If you have to take it off you need to roll out the floor jack. Not something you're likely to do on the trail.

Aluminum is a significant weight savings and 3/16" (which I think ARB uses) or 1/4" are strong enough for a hit but if you start dragging it a lot it wears away leaving deep scars. Did I mention the weight saving?

If you plan to be careful my $0.02 is 1/8" steel is a nice compromise but it's not as common and it will start to show wear and tear faster than 3/16".

Last edited:

WillysManVan

Rock Stacker
I like to wheel but prefer solid wheel placement as I don’t have anyone to wheel with. If it’s a 4+ trail and it gets hairy I will back down as I don’t have the ability to self recover yet

Kinda sounds like ARB might be the choice. If it gets hit hard? I made a mistake. My new springs and could would tolerate a mild steel. But I’m enjoying the lift it provides. So thank you for the honesty.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Should make a correction. I looked up ARB skid plates and it looks like they use 3mm steel, which is slightly thinner than 1/8". That seems sufficient for basic protection. Maybe not ideal for getting after hard trails every weekend but fine for most of us. It will save some weight and damage could be hammered back out.

One thing about ARB is they look nice and their finishes on my bumpers has lasted. I powdercoated my skid plate (and sliders for that matter) and that's not a great idea. To be honest, the only downside is probably price.

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 7.45.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-08-19 at 7.44.53 AM.png

Last edited:

WillysManVan

Rock Stacker
As far as cost, they are the cheapest all around, if you know of cheaper and better I'd bite! But I think I'm pulling the trigger on them today. Thank you for the help!

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I would go RCI. If you are willing to wait they run promos all the time. Super solid protection that can take a beating and only show scratches.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
I would go RCI. If you are willing to wait they run promos all the time. Super solid protection that can take a beating and only show scratches.
They are running a 20% promo right now in fact...

Dan