5/8 wave, 2M Homebrew Antenna

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I am currently making the parts to allow those interested to get together and build this antenna to use on your vehicle. It is identical to the one seen on my FZJ80 and Bruce's HDJ80(at the last HAM class).

It is fairly simple to do, and it will make a nice addition to your HAM setup. The only thing you would be required to purchase is a length of coax with a PL-259 on one end. That may run around $7.

I am looking for a show of interest so I know how many I need to machine parts for. I am not looking to charge people for this at all, just to encourage the "tinkering" that HAM radio does.

Please post up if you would be interested in getting to gether some weekend day for an hour or two and build yourself an antenna.

73'

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Count me in!

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Details, please, as I wasn't at the meeting. :)

Mounted to _______? Pics would be great!

For those of use with dual-band radios, would we need to also build a 70CM antenna and source a duplexer?

Generally, yes, I'm interested.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I am at your mercy as to what equipment I need and what you feel is the best setup. Should you feel this is what I need after I get certified, then count me in. I promise not to hook it up to anything until I pass my test.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Mike you can always hook it up beforehand and listen in - just no transmitting!

Nathaniel, I'm interested, count me in.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Speaking of that, sign me up for two :D

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Picture

I will at some point soon post a picture of what this looks like in person. Until then, here is some verbal info...

For those of you who were not at the first HAM wives class (where I handed out copies of the QST article from June 1979) this is a simple 2M, 5/8λ Vertical, single band antenna that in 1978 was supposed to cost all of $2-$3 (without the machined cone--see further down).
It is composed of a piece of 3/4" plexiglass 3 1/2" long, to which a coil of 10GA copper wire is wraped around. Out of the top of the plexiglass is a whip made of 1/8" stainless rod, welded to a 1/4 x 20 x 3/4" stainless bolt with a machined cone welded to the top for support (so the whip doesn't tear at the top of the bolt).

While many arguments have been made about the difference between 1/2λ and 5/8λ, this has been very effective all last year getting into repeaters as well as on trail runs (Ghost Town, Ouray).

This is simply a project that is supposed to accompany the HAM class info to make the learning about antennas enjoyable and practical. The parts to assemble would normally cost about $10-$15 per antenna (not including the coax), but it is being offered for FREE (all but the coax).

If you decide to come and build one, but never use it, all I will ask is that you either donate it back to me to give away to someone in the club who might use it, or give it to someone in the club who might use it yourself. :thumb:

The date will be TBD, but hopefully before March 17th.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
QSL

I'd like to be in for at least one, two if they aren't easily moveable between rigs :thumb:

I'm interested in a tech/antenna build day...

...but it will depend upon scheduling.

My Kokopelli Ride is March 14-17 so I can't that weekend. Any other days or evenings other then Wednesday nights work for me.

Cheers!

Jethro

Free?

Yeah shucks, put me down for one of those!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i'd like one.
thanks nathaniel

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel
I am interested Thanks:thumb:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So Romer won't loose any more sleep...

Here is a picture. I didn't use shrinkwrap tubing on mine, but Bruce did. The entire coil gets shrinkwrap tubing around it. So mine has a year of corrosion on it.

You can see the plexiglass rod (black part that the copper wire gets wraped around), the copper wire (that is now green). The machined cone on the top and the whip.

I am going to post a .pdf with the article soon.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 340

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Here's the .pdf

For everyones enjoyment.

Attachments

• 5-8 wave antenna.pdf
    449.7 KB · Views: 346

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You know what would be sweet is if an NMO mount could also be rigged up. Also that would only be needed for knuckleheads that have drilled holes in the sheet metal of their junk...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Question;
Would this be a good antenna to mount on the garage roof so for the HT in the "Shack?" :rolleyes: :cool:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Would this be a good antenna to mount on the garage roof so for the HT in the "Shack?"
This is what I was thinking of building it for, as a base antenna. The only difference between a mobile antenna and a base antenna is how you configure the ground half of the antenna. On your truck you have the sheet metal and on a house you usually have to add ground radials under the whip.

Nathaniel, add +1 for me, please.