• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

4runner auto hub disassembly

subzali

Hard Core 4+
How hard is this? '95 4runner with autolocking hub - got the six bolts off put it was hitting something that was keeping it from coming off. Does 4wd need to be engaged? We tried that and it didn't work - it was up on jackstands, does it need to be on the ground? We're trying to tighten the wheel bearings, and probably do a bearing repack - is this any/much harder than on a Cruiser axle? Thanks.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Auto-hubs in 1995?

Oh gawd, I don't remember this as it was 11 years ago. I only went into my factory AUTO-HUBS once, and that was to remove them and throw them away.

What is stopping you is probably the bolt in the middle of the stub axle. There is also a snap ring. AND you get to use a small allen or TorX head wrench (I can't remember) to get the wheel bearing lock plates off. What a mess.

1995? That seems WAY too new for the auto-hubs. Isn't that an ADD front axle? If so, those hubs are just drive flanges. Pop the cap with the big craftsman screwdriver, remove the bolt in the center of the stub axle, then get the nuts/cone washers off, tap on the side of the drive flange and it should help you pop those cone washers off. No need to try to pry on the hub (usually).

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
okay, got my terminology wrong. I guess it is ADD, and I guess I forgot about the little dust cover/cap thingy (the brass colored one right?). Right now it is hitting metal, and can slide about 1/4 inch.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Then replace the flanges with locking hubs. The benefits of ADD, plus the benefits of locking hubs when you want!

And - MAKE SURE you hold on to those cone washers! I had to buy a set from Stevenson, and they charged me $70 for 12 cone washers!!!