• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

40's Only Run

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me :eek:, but I know several folks had a camera along so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again :D. Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular :thumb:

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX :hill:...My back took a beating :p:

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks to Martin for getting the 40s only run set up. It was a LOT of fun and gave me a chance to actually drive the 40 farther than just around the neighborhood.

I didn't have my camera (couldn't find it this morning) so no pics from me :eek:, but I know several folks had camera so hopefully they'll get a chance to post up some pics over the next few days.

Weather was good, then bad, then good again :D. Typical CO weather...I even got hailed on coming down Fall River Rd just outside of Alice. The trail was great and the scenery was spectacular :thumb:

Lessons learned today for me are that my 40 with the weber carb doesn't like high elevations at all, it makes a funny noise/sensation through the steering wheel when hitting bumps (like a rod spinning really fast and then touching something), and 8 hours in a 40 is probably equivalent to 1 week in the LX :hill:...My back took a beating :p:

Dude.....your back took a beating? That was the roughest ride I have been in in a long....llllloooooonnnnnnggggggg time! :eek: I had a blast too! All runs in the past were only 40's and starving carbs and vapor lock are just part of the history lesson. FYI Webers don't mind high alts! Jerry Cruiser had a great shakedown run and he now has a large list of what to do's. The next time you see it it will have morphed a huge amount! Found out on Yankee hill his vapor lock issue probably isn't vapor lock as it ONLY happens on the rear fuel tank! I took quite a bit of pics and will upload them to the gallery very soon. Also got a couple caption quests than should be good. THANK YOU MARTIN for the run!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
good time!

That was a fun day! fun run, good scenery, a little Marmot sighting and lots of cool 40's! Thanks for putting this together Martin.

Rough ride...yeah, makes me kinda :rolleyes: dislike the ranchos the PO put on there. OH well, loads of fun anyway.

I had a co-pilot from work and both of us brought our cameras. I've got lots of pics and I'm sure he does, too. I get some posted later today.

Did you guys get that nasty weather on Yankee Hill? As Corsair said, it hailed a little on the way down fall river road when we split off. We were wondering what it was like up there.

Thanks again! great to see everyone again!

:thumb::cheers:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Martin for setting it up and carrying it to success! And thanks everyone who showed up, it was great wheeling with some 40s that aren't typically seen on the trail :thumb:

We got hailed on in Alice while we were looking for Yankee Hill (took us a while but we found it) but then the clouds rolled by and it was pretty nice. Uncle Ben, as you can see I made it back okay :) but I went down that hill by the mine and it turns out the spur I took loops back around to the upper parking lot. Another spur dropped off and appeared to go into the valley but I didn't follow it. Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot :rolleyes:, but :D

All in all a great day! But the hardtop is going back on soon if I head to the high country.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Oh and I found that I stayed on the trail on the bypass to the steep hill to the upper parking lot, even though there was 2 1/2 feet of snow and I couldn't see the trail! And I found that it might have been the big ditch in the middle of the trail that was making it difficult for me to drag my buddy's Scout up that last hill to the upper parking lot :rolleyes:, but :D
QUOTE]

2 1\2 feet of new snow or an old drift?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Thanks again everyone for making the inaugural 40's Only Run a great day. The rigs we had in attendance:

Subzali, Corsair23, CardinalFJ60, Wesintl, Jerry and Uncle Ben, Rzeppa, Shorty and myself.

(plus a 4runner and a yeep that tagged along. some kind of miscommunication about the name of the run) :D

We headed up Kingston Peak from Tolland and had some drizzle, some sun, some wind, some rain, some more sun, and only a couple of mechanical/electrical issues that didn't slow us down much. Not bad for a bunch or 30 year old rigs. We passed a small group of FJ Cruisers coming down the trail and it was pretty cool to see them gawking and pointing at a line of old 40's motoring up the trail. :thumb:

When we got down into Alice, some of the group headed back to civilization and a few of us made a loop out of the trail by running Yankee hill back towards Central City. I had never run this trail before so it was fun to see some new territory. There's a lot of trails back there and I'm planning to go back and explore some more.

I took some pics but I didn't realize my lens had a big smudgey fingerprint on it and they all look horrible. So hopefully someone posts up some better pics soon! :eek:

:cheers:

Some smudged photos:

196785943-M.jpg

196786295-M.jpg

196786391-M.jpg

196786664-M.jpg

196787440-M.jpg

196788425-M.jpg

196788586-M.jpg

Lets do this again next year! :thumb:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Not sure why but I cant get any pics to link to the gallery....what I have uploaded so far is here

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Looks like everyone had fun. I really wanted to make this run but I would hate to bring everyone down so I stayed out.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Thank You again Martin for making this a reality. It was nice to see some old iron back out on the trails. I'll try and post some pics as Sophie allows..

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Looks like a cool run. I thought about you guys all day, wishing I was there. I'm looking through pics now. There are a bunch of 40s that I don't recognize. I'm also amazed at the number with hard tops.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Wow, what a fun time.

I am trying to figure if it was really a rough ride, or if you guys are just used to wheelin' 80's now ;) :D

I thought about you guys and lifted up a prayer for safety when I saw the weather move in over the mountains yesterday afternoon.

Keep the pics coming!

Drew

subzali

Hard Core 4+
:confused: What happened to this guy?
main.php

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I think some of the 80 guys are getting soft in their old age ;)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Looks like everyone had fun. I really wanted to make this run but I would hate to bring everyone down so I stayed out.

We were hoping to see you there Mike, even waited extra long at the meeting place. I think you would have had a great time, everyone was grinning from ear to ear :D and it was just a fun day. Everyone could use one of those once in a awhile. Hope to see you on the trail soon dude. :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I think some of the 80 guys are getting soft in their old age ;)

Maybe so but Jerry's new to him 40 has RS 5000's plus he only aired down to 22#.....my internals may never be the same. I'm not whining as I had a blast on this trip down memory lane but I have no doubt....leaf springs SUCK! :rant::zilla: :bowdown: :kevin:

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
here's one...

This is martin at the top...I hope it's not too small...I have loads of biiiiig pics. I'll burn a CD or several and try to remember to bring them to the next meeting.

Attachments

• Martin top websmall.JPG
    Martin top websmall.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 284