3 piece wheels, what is the scoop?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I was sitting at a light the other day and an AMAZING new Porsche pulled up next to me, so I reved the 2f dumped the clutch and smoked him... then I woke up. :lmao:

Seriously though, this thing had the sweetest looking wheels I have ever seen and they were clearly two or three piece wheels, but I have never known why this is such an advantage? Is it a race thing? :(

Drew

wesintl

RS Moderator
Yep, less Weight, better acceleration/braking/handling etx. Strength in different areas of the rim vs mounting flange, change to different offsets easy, etc.

Weight and strength are the main advantages. BBS used to really push their 3 piece wheels as being stronger and lighter. Amazing that you would see a new Porsche with 3 piece wheels though. The guy must have really been into his car. The current factory wheel offering is pretty nice. It is hard to improve upon in my opinion.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Wes and Eric,

Yeah, these wheels were HOT, it looked pretty hopped up, looked a little lower, the tires seemed wider than normal and the dude, had a harness on the inside... maybe he is running SCCA or some kind of Porsche Club.

Beautiful car!

Drew

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Wes and Eric,

Yeah, these wheels were HOT, it looked pretty hopped up, looked a little lower, the tires seemed wider than normal and the dude, had a harness on the inside... maybe he is running SCCA or some kind of Porsche Club.

Beautiful car!

Drew

fyi for my turbo back in the day, the 3 piece wheels were about 30% less weight, and offered less deflection than the stock ats wheels. always look for the PCA sticker on the window to separate the wankers from the real enthusiasts.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah I used to be in a Porsche club.. but all the other guys were dorks and they kept borrowing my sockets and not returning them. I was driving around town the other day and this freaky-looking dude with a goatee next to me at the light in this light blue Jeep-thing kept looking at my rims, kinda freaked me out. I was about to get out and pop him but then the light turned so I just smoked his ass off the line... :lmao: