3.5 back spacing vs 4.5

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I have four rims right now that have 4.5 BS on a 16x8" rim. I want to go to 15" rims since the tires are about $20-40 cheaper per tire. I can get some wagon wheels in 15x8 or 15x10 but they have 3.5" BS.

Question is how bad or good will it be running 3.5 vs 4.5 BS? I know I will be wider and the tires will throw everything past the windows but besides that, how about the stress on the axle? The front already has 1.5" spacers.

Any ideas or opinions will be accepted...................:bowdown: :)

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
stresses the wheel bearing as well. I run 3.5BS

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
stresses the wheel bearing as well. I run 3.5BS
I think it just adds sress to every part on the truck. Not sure what to do.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I thought stock BS for FJ40 disc brakes was like 3 5/8". Chevy rims at 3 3/4 or more won't clear the calipers. I think I had 3.0" BS rims made for my orange project. Is that too much? I haven't driven on them yet.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Won't stress minitruck axles at all. The wheel bearings and even the trunion bearings are very much up to the task, up to 37" tires. Highly recommended to clear IFS calipers/FJ40 rotors for more powerful brakes. Combine that with a Tacoma or 80 1" master cylinder and a V6 minitruck vacuum assist and be prepared to wipe noseprints off the inside of your windshield.

It is that much BETTER! Highly recommended.

If they kick it out more than you're comfy with, 1" spacers are an option. But IIRC that setup is what I am running. You running the stock 85 rear axle, or an IFS rear?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I run 3..5 on 10s with IFS hubs on an 85 solid axle. Even if it doubles wheel bearing wear, that means they'll only last 125,000 miles. :)

It makes for a longer lever = more stress on the axle ends, but more width = less tipping over.
It's only 2 inches, but it helps.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Won't stress minitruck axles at all. The wheel bearings and even the trunion bearings are very much up to the task, up to 37" tires. Highly recommended to clear IFS calipers/FJ40 rotors for more powerful brakes. Combine that with a Tacoma or 80 1" master cylinder and a V6 minitruck vacuum assist and be prepared to wipe noseprints off the inside of your windshield.

It is that much BETTER! Highly recommended.

If they kick it out more than you're comfy with, 1" spacers are an option. But IIRC that setup is what I am running. You running the stock 85 rear axle, or an IFS rear?

Running a IFS rear and 1.5" spacers in the front. If it is OK to run 3.5 BS then I am all set. I will just need to get prices from the people who have them. Thanks for the info, that is what I needed.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
leiniesred said:
I run 3..5 on 10s with IFS hubs on an 85 solid axle. Even if it doubles wheel bearing wear, that means they'll only last 125,000 miles. :)

It makes for a longer lever = more stress on the axle ends, but more width = less tipping over.
It's only 2 inches, but it helps.

Thanks for the info, I will see if I can get the rims from one of these guys. I think they are 15x8 but that will work for me for now. Maybe when I go to the 37"s I will have to go to 10"s.

Off topic sort of, decided to do the lift just need to order it. Won't be ready for the snow run but such is life.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I thought about it and I have 3.25 BS wheels with a 1.25 spacer so :eek: Do it, you won't have any problems.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
treerootCO said:
I thought about it and I have 3.25 BS wheels with a 1.25 spacer so :eek: Do it, you won't have any problems.

I will, just need them to reply back. I want some rims..............