• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

.22 ammo for an old single shot rifle

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have a couple of old .22 single shot rifles that I believe date to the mid 1930s. They are:
Remington Model 33
Winchester Model 67A

It looks like they both can chamber .22 Short, .22 Long, or .22 Long Rifle cartridges interchangeably. Based on some reading on the internets, it looks like the .22LR would be the best choice and is most commonly available.

What should I be looking for in ammo? Charlie and I just want to do some plinking.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Typically with older guns I stick with standard velocity ammo. Nice for you, since it is the cheapest ammo! ;). Lots of .22LR guns don't cycle well on standard velocity, but it sounds like yours is a single shot so no issues there.

You may also want to stick to something that is kind on your barrel....easy to clean. Sometimes copper can be tough to fully clean from the barrel without harsher cleaners. Im sure someone else can give a better recommendation on the projectile type that would be easiest on the barrel.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
For what you're going to do you don't need anything fancy, just look for a name brand in bulk that's not expensive - Remington, Winchester, CCI, Federal, Fiocchi, Aguila or Blazer.

Just so you know there are a couple of things you may see. The bullet weight being the main one. This will be measured in grains, typically about 40 for a 22LR but anything around that will work fine for you. There are about 438 grains in an ounce, it's an old measure of the weight of a grain seed. Your firearms may like one weight best but don't worry about it for plinking. If you end up with a couple of different weights with which to experiment you may see accuracy change as you try different ones.

Otherwise there are hollow points (HP), high energy/velocity (abbreviated HV sometimes), subsonic, match grade, copper washed/plated, lots of other options. They have uses, usually for hunting or because certain types of firearms require them. You don't need any of them for what you're doing. Just get a bulk pack of standard velocity lead round nose (LRN).

You bolt actions will work with pretty much anything you feed them. Those are really cool rifles, should be a super fun time. It's hard to top knocking cans off a tree stump with your old man as a kid.

Snowrun

Hard Core 4+
CCI standard velocity would be my go to. It is cheap, accurate, and clean.
I see it all the time at Cabelas. I am not a fan of the Remington stuff. It seems to have pretty inconsistent velocities and really gums up. The other brands Dave mentioned are also very good.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Buy a bunch when you can. Even with a single shot bolt you can burn through it quick. Bridger will feed 200 rounds through his in no time. He likes his spinning prairie dog target the best.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 243