2012 Transition Bandit29 vs 2015 Intense Carbine 29

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two bikes? The Transition I'm considering is a 2012 build which is before the Convert came out, so it's a good mix and kind of an all mountain bike. The Carbine I dont know much about?

I'm looking for a bike that I can ride for long epic rides, but still take advantage of some really fun rocky downhill descents. I'm thinking 120 on the suspension? And I'm trying to get into a FS 29er that weighs no more than about 30 pounds.

I'd be interested in any experience with the two bikes listed, but also any others that fall into this category and less than $3500.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Transition makes a great bike plus they have a great sense of humor. I don't know too much about the Intense. 120 on the suspension should hold you through most trails but you may be wishing for more on the rougher stuff.

You may want to take a peek at a Santa Cruz Tallboy as well. Is there a specific reason you want 29?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kirsten has an Intense Spider 29 Comp Carbon. Absolutely incredible bike. It's not as light as you'd think, though. I had a Blur a long time ago (sort of a 26" Tallboy in a way). The VPP is the real deal but be aware that Santa Cruz tends to run shorter top tubes for a more upright position, so you might consider bumping up a size if you like a more traditional fit.

I also run a 29er. I see zero reason to go back to a 26 or 27.5. Perfect for my use. I also think of rear suspension as a crutch. Oh sure, people will say it's more comfortably or that they can go faster or longer. Bully, that's a load of rubbish. They're just soft. I run a steel hardtail Gunnar Rockhound 29 with a 100mm Fox Float. Just love it, absolutely the best, mostest perfect bike I've ever owned. I've never done the Tour Divide or anything, but it's carried me to some 12 hour and 100 mile endurance race finishes.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'd like to go 29" because I am about 6-2 or 6'-3" and I really liked the way the 29 demo bike I rode climbed. I could possibly do a 27.5/650b.

I've heard nothing but good things about the transition bandit from 2012. A year later they toned it down a bit with a more XC specific bandit and came out with a more All-mountain specific bike in addition. That's why I like this 2012...it is really one of the few bikes of that timeframe that is a good mix of XC and All-mountain.

Dave...I really like a hard tail for climbing, but I'm not spring chicken any more and I have some lumbar back issues that make a soft tail almost a necessity. I can really feel it when I pull my hard tail out and ride for even an hour.

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm buying the linked bike above this AM! If I don't like it, I'll sell it. It might be worth more in parts than together with the components he put on it :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
VIVA LA HARDTAIL!!

LOL, seriously though, a rear suspension makes it less of critical thing to pick lines IMHO. Also pads the a$$ a bit more on regular rides. For example Al likes her full suspension because it keeps her eye from getting less jiggly which is good.

I'll buy a full suspension wonder bike when I grow up or my body demand it.

For your height Paul, it seems like a 29" full suspension bike would fit. Where it starts to become and issue is if you want longer travel (5+ maybe?) and are a shorter person. Thats when the 650b bike geometries work better. Theres just more space to fit a longer travel suspension that works with the smaller wheel size.

Isn't 26" dead yet?

Isn't 26" dead yet?

never. :hill:

although, to be honest, yeti's SB6c is tempting. the anniversary paint scheme is just yummy.

yeti-sb6c-30th.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Practically speaking 26" is dead. Long live 26" wheels.

Just yanking your chain Paul, a full suspension is almost a given with your back. It really does take the edge off the beating. My reasoning was cost, I got a whole lot of bike for my money. It's the age-old don't spend so much you can't afford to put gas in it.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I'll keep my Stumpy Pro 26 for a bit...until I'm completely sold on the 29er!

I was not willing to pay for a new bike, that is why I offered $2600 for this incredible used one. You can't even get a full XTR brand new Hard Tail for that price!!! The frames alone for a full suspension new bike are $2K+. If you look at the components on this bike I just bought, it would be about $6K new.

Yippee!!! Hopefully it will be here by early next week!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I knew immediately that 29'er was for me. Suits my style and type of riding perfectly. I'm also not short and the frames fit better. You'll love it. I'd go ahead and sell that Stumpjumper right now. Just do it.

RockOn

If you didn't snag the bike from ebay, Veloswap is this weekend is a great place to haggle on a frame and/or whole bike set up.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the reminder on Veloswap. Although my new to me bike is currently being built in my garage! I bought the lime green transition bandit 29!

RockOn

Awesome bike! My main riding buddy is on one of those as well, but admittedly in the more subdued black/grey version. He loves it, and I've thrown a leg over it a couple times and enjoyed it as well.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I would have definitely opted for the subdues black and gray color! But I was more concerned with the components. I guess the color could be changed if it bothers me enough?!