• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2010 Rally Location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
yeah yeah, I know, way early to think about it....but I may have found a very cool place for the rally this year, only a mile or so away from the normal place. Colorado Mills Mall has a cool area called "the Street", there between the mall and the movie theater. They can close both ends of the street, and we can park our rigs along the street like it is a car show...in essence it could "be" a car show...or a Toyota truck show. We could still have the parking lot on either end for Christo's rig, or have the vendors in the parking lot or the street, tons of options. Plus we have shade, bathrooms, food and drink (including beer), stuff for the kids to do, all within a few feet of our trucks, and expose our cool trucks to the public. I am dealing with the Mall for another project, and I am sure I can get a really good deal on the space, and we can block off as much of the parking lot as we need. Let me know what you think.

T

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Do you think that offers advantages over where we have been doing it? I would worry that Colorado Mills Mall would not be thrilled over the swap meet aspects of our Rally. We have a lot of old, rusty, greasy parts for sale.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Do you think that offers advantages over where we have been doing it? I would worry that Colorado Mills Mall would not be thrilled over the swap meet aspects of our Rally. We have a lot of old, rusty, greasy parts for sale.

I think it has a lot of advantages...

Shade
Bathrooms (closer than a long hike)
A/C close by
Food and Drink close by
Stuff for the kids to do
Stuff for the significant other to do. For those of you with a S.O. that is not excited about the Rally, they can go shop while you hang out with us. :)
Did I mention Shade? :)
Photo ops...would love to see all the 40's lined up down the "street"

I know the Events Director and she thinks it is a great idea...and I mentioned the "greasy parts" aspect. As long as we are not leaving huge piles of grease and oil, we should be ok.

It would be more difficult to collect the $5 per truck, but I am sure we could figure that part out...

Just an idea, kinda like Area BFE, a change to shake things up and maybe improve the event a little is all I am thinking about...

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
A lot of folks have parts on trailers for the swap meet aspect. Where would we put these?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Is this the area Timm? I like the idea, but I wonder if the location really lends itself to how the Rally is setup. For a "car show" atmosphere where people show up, park, and all leave at the end it seems like a great location but when I've attended the Rally people come and go all day long...

Would people coming late, or leaving early, need to park out in a lot or is there enough room on the "street" for people to park, setup, etc. and still have folks driving down the street as the come or go? The street looks pretty wide but with parked vehicles and then people milling around that could be sketchy maybe...

CO Mills Mall 1.JPG

CO Mills Mall 2.JPG

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
exactly where "The Street" is. But we could also have as much of that parking lot on the south side of the street as we wanted. Maybe use part of the street for FJ Cruisers or 40's or something, and the vendor tents, then everything else in the South parking lot as usual. Still have the shade of the street and there is a small grassy area by the south lot.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Sounds good except that there is no mention of 4Runners!!!:rolleyes::D

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
nahhhh...I drive by the Jeffco stadium every day I and never saw any piles of grease and oil....they have all kinds of cars and trucks in that lot, it will be fine there.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
If there is no cotton, hazardous pool, sub par facilities, why move it?

:headbang: BFE CM10 :headbang:

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
Personally I would not like doing it there. Car show yes, rally no. At the Rally we have a captive audience and we can control the entry and exit. This would be impossible to do without a lot of logistics.

The possible benefit of increased exposure vs the logistics of pulling it off would not be worth it for us.

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
> Shade

Not that much, unless you go into the mall. Most people have easy-ups or some sort of canopy at the rally

> Bathrooms (closer than a long hike)

The only ones there are either inside a restaurant, in the mall or movies. Still a long walk.

> A/C close by

As in Air Conditioning? How does this help people outside?

> Food and Drink close by

I thought we did a pretty good job at that :)

> Stuff for the kids to do
> Stuff for the significant other to do. For those of you with a S.O. that is not excited about the Rally, they can go shop while you hang out with us. :)

But if they don't want to come to the rally at the other venue, they can still do the same thing. I don't understand why it would be benificial to the rally to provide something else for people to do that come to the rally? Other than car-pool that does not sense to me.

> Did I mention Shade? :)

Again, I don't see it.

> Photo ops...would love to see all the 40's lined up down the "street"

True dat, but then try to do a Rising Sun Car show or something like that. Or have the 40 only run meet there :D

Sorry, I might sound harsh about it, but we (as in Slee) has done quite a bit and spent some $'s to get the Rally to be a good event. I would not like it to move from where it is at. We are just now getting the momentum again.

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Sorry, I might sound harsh about it, but we (as in Slee) has done quite a bit and spent some $'s to get the Rally to be a good event. I would not like it to move from where it is at. We are just now getting the momentum again.

Not that my opinion would sway anyone but Christo is spot on. The location is the Rally and people expect the same location year after year unless there's a reason to shake things up which simply isn't the case. It's getting better every year IMHO and trying to turn it in to what it's not just isn't a good idea.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The location is the Rally and people expect the same location year after year unless there's a reason to shake things up which simply isn't the case.

True -- there is an advantage to doing it at the same place every year.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
> Shade

Not that much, unless you go into the mall. Most people have easy-ups or some sort of canopy at the rally

The street has a bunch of trees, and the south parking lot has a nice grassy area with trees also.

> Bathrooms (closer than a long hike)

The only ones there are either inside a restaurant, in the mall or movies. Still a long walk.

Shorter walk, especially for the people on the street, and much nicer bathrooms also...

> A/C close by

As in Air Conditioning? How does this help people outside?

If it is too hot you can go inside for a cool drink (BEER) and cool temps then come back out.

> Food and Drink close by

I thought we did a pretty good job at that :)

We all appreciate what you provide, but not everyone wants hot dogs and burgers.

> Stuff for the kids to do
> Stuff for the significant other to do. For those of you with a S.O. that is not excited about the Rally, they can go shop while you hang out with us. :)

But if they don't want to come to the rally at the other venue, they can still do the same thing. I don't understand why it would be benificial to the rally to provide something else for people to do that come to the rally? Other than car-pool that does not sense to me.

Families with kids often make an event like this a group thing...but the kids and S.O. can get tired of being in the hot sun very very quickly. Having the mall and movie theater right there gives them something else to do while you can hang out. I know of several people who can't come to the rally because of this...and I coud not come a couple of years ago because of this.

> Did I mention Shade? :)

Again, I don't see it.

Take a look in person. The Google image is a couple of years old, the trees are much bigger.

> Photo ops...would love to see all the 40's lined up down the "street"

True dat, but then try to do a Rising Sun Car show or something like that. Or have the 40 only run meet there :D

Not a bad idea. :)

Not harsh at all Christo. I love to hear what you and others are thinking, and I just thought it was a nice place for the Rally. I think the Rally is a very cool event, but I would love to see the event be more Family Friendly, and more comfortable for all participants. What is it about the current location, other than "that is where it has been for a few years", that is so enticing? It is a parking lot with no facilities and no shade. Imagine being able to go inside to have lunch and a beer with A/C, coming back out and hang out some more.

Anyway, thanks for considering the idea everyone.

T

I got into cruisers in part because of the rally. I was driving home and passed what appeared to be a 4x4 group gathered in a lot with all their rigs. I got off of 6th and came over. Owned my first 40 a few weeks later.:D

Although there is no shade, I like the area, its very visible from the highway. Maybe we could get a large banner for the fence and get it up a week before the event for a little more coverage. (Don't know if this is already been done) The mall seems tacky to me, just my 2c.

Some of the best local car shows in my memory set up in the back of Home Depot parking lots. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.