2009 Wheel Bearing Packing Party

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My point exactly, Opie. Did we possibly overlook something that shouldn't have been or is the FSM more involved that it has to be as is sometimes the case?

His truck does have ABS. There is a toothed ring on the hub and there is a sensor on the inside. I remember seeing that at least. I didn't see any reason that sensor had to be mucked with to do bearings or brakes (at least shoes and the like).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
My point exactly, Opie. Did we possibly overlook something that shouldn't have been or is the FSM more involved that it has to be as is sometimes the case?
Hmmm, not sure. I'm only working from memory and 2 hours combined experience now on 80 series. But for bearings I didn't see any reason to touch it. For brakes I couldn't say 100%, but maybe the way the hardware is placed or if you're taking the backing plate off it might have to be dealt with. I'm sure it's a costly piece and probably a little bit of a PITA to get set right, so moving it is probably not ideal.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
My 80 is a '95. It has ABS, but not lockers. The only thing we did with the brakes was take the caliper off and set it up on the axle. No more than what you'd do to change the pads. Seems to stop fine, but I haven't checked it in the snow or ice. Not sure I'd know if the back wasn't working...as much as if the front wasn't?

It's a good lesson, though...probably should have asked Joe. Christo didn't say anything about doing it, but I didn't ask him specifically either.

Thanks again for your help!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Not sure about the rear axles (have yet to do that) but for the front there is no need to remove the ABS sensor or muck with any of that on a simple repack I don't believe...Now, if you are doing the full front axle service the sensor needs to be removed but I know you can take the front axle down to having the rotors off without touching the sensor...been there twice :hill:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I even got a fortune cookie that night at Pei Wei that said something to the effect of "to learn is to teach someone else," fitting. Justin

that's awesome. i've learned most everything i know by having a guru teach me and i've tried to pass that along. when i was in illinois, we all hung out at steve's house. i've made sure i'm in an area where rigs can be worked on and i've tried to have a decent setup not only for myself, but for anyone else who needs a place to wrench because of my time with steve.

and a perfect example of the learning/teaching thing...steve helped me with a seized engine...years later, i helped magoo fix romers seized engine using the exact same techniques. :thumb:

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
As Dave said, the sensor is in the backing plate and the Ring is on the outside of the hub. So when you do a rear axle service and you repack the rear hub, you do not mess with the ABS stuff. So you guys get a A+ for not messing stuff up.