2009 Wheel Bearing Packing Party

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Wow, what a lucky day it was for the 2009 WBPP participants; 2 lifts, plenty of mentors and no waiting:D Toss in some good pizza, fine company and a little swap meet action and it was a fine event.

While the weather was not as nice as last year, it was definitely not as bad as predicted. Justin did the front end service on his 78 FJ40, Paul repacked the rear bearings on his 95 80 and Mark changed the oil and diff fluid on his 4Runner.

I'll get some pictures up a bit later, but wanted to post up and let everyone know we had a great event. I'd also like to thank Slee Off Road for hosting this event. Christo, our club is very fortunate to have your business as a supporter.

I'd also like to extend a thank you to Jerry at Burt on Broadway. I ran into a parts availability issue and Jerry not only took care of me, but also arranged for a small discount on our grease. Finally, thanks to Napa on south Broadway for providing us with a discount on the grease.

I know many of us go to these businesses on a regular basis, next time you are in there - let them know you are with Rising Sun and we do appreciate what they do for us.

It is always great to see everyone that stops by to mentor, visit and enjoy the pizza. I'd like to thank Steve C., Dave A., Jeff Z. and Brian N. and everyone else that made our event a success.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It is always great to see everyone that stops by to mentor, visit and enjoy the pizza. I'd like to thank Steve C., Dave A., Jeff Z. and Brian N. and everyone else that made our event a success.
Also don't forget to say a big thank you to Joe at Slee, his advice and a SST here and there made things much smoother.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
WBPP Pictures

Early on as we got started, here are the first two trucks up on the lift and everyone getting ready to do some wrenching.
w_starting.jpg

Having the lift makes all the work easier on the back. Just roll the tank into position and remove the drain bolt.
w_drainingdiff.jpg

Here is Mr. Crase using the brass drift and bfh.
w_steve.jpg

It is not all about wrenching, we took a break to load up on some good pizza.
w_pizza1.jpg

w_pizza2.jpg

It is all about helping, looking back through the pictures I did not get enough shots of where our participants were getting guidance from our mentors. These next two give you a general idea of the process.
w_helpingpaul.jpg

w_helpingjustin.jpg

Of course, no photo layout of a WBPP is complete without a knuckle shot.;)
w_dirtyknuckle.jpg

The only adverse effect of the weather was the need to mop a bit more frequently during the day. With many hands helping out, this ended up being a very light load.
w_mop.jpg

This one has special significance for Justin, Dave, Brian and me. IIRC we all had a turn at the caliper bolts. :D
w_caliperbolt.jpg

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Also don't forget to say a big thank you to Joe at Slee, his advice and a SST here and there made things much smoother.

Dave, you are correct. I had Joe in my mind as I was typing and it did not make it to my fingers. Special thanks to Joe:thumb:.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Yes. Nice to see everyone. Thanks to Christo for hosting the party and taking care of me. And thanks to Ricardo for setting it all up. :clap:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like it was a great event. Thanks Ricardo for putting this together and many thanks to Christo for the use of his shop.

I would have come, but after being out of town all week I needed to be home.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Odds and Ends

I am very sure there were no door prizes, even though I would like to imagine there were and I won the red Snap-On BFH that was sitting in my tool box this morning. For those that took tools, is it yours? If not, I'll take it back to Christo first thing in the morning.

For those that were around at the end, did anyone find a plastic back with a couple of gaskets and seals in it? I remember Dave A. handing it to me, but then seem to have lost track of it. The bag has Largeone written on the outside of it.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I am very sure there were no door prizes, even though I would like to imagine there were and I won the red Snap-On BFH that was sitting in my tool box this morning. For those that took tools, is it yours? If not, I'll take it back to Christo first thing in the morning.

For those that were around at the end, did anyone find a plastic back with a couple of gaskets and seals in it? I remember Dave A. handing it to me, but then seem to have lost track of it. The bag has Largeone written on the outside of it.
Last I remember seeing the bag it was sitting on Christo's Caterpillar yellow tool box. It had your Burt Toyota receipt and a partial can of brake clean in it, so if it's still in the shop it will be obvious what it is.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Sorry I couldn't make it to help wrench. Work called as I was getting ready that morning and had me on conference calls until late that night.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Don't feel to bad Mike, I had towork plowing in Evergreen all day. 13 hrs of O.T. Not bad but rather have been there helping wrench.

Later

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Ricardo,
Looks like you guys had a great time. I am sorry I did not reach you before the WBPP, I had a lead on a diesel truck. Still no diesel but.................got to keep looking.

I pm'd you for cost etc. Thanks for all your help and consideration, I hope you did not wait to long for me.

Thanks

I would like to personally thank everyone who helped with my rig (78 FJ). Still learning names so I won't try to name everyone for fear of leaving someone off but you know who you are by the soupy mess you had to clean off your hands. With a few less rigs and a few more mentors my rig got some extra attention and it was much appreciated. I learned a ton and certainly benefited from all your experience :bowdown:. I can't wait to pass along the knowledge and the extra pair of hands to someone else. I even got a fortune cookie that night at Pei Wei that said something to the effect of "to learn is to teach someone else," fitting. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the trail or at the next meeting. :cheers:

Justin

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I would like to personally thank everyone who helped with my rig (78 FJ). Still learning names so I won't try to name everyone for fear of leaving someone off but you know who you are by the soupy mess you had to clean off your hands. With a few less rigs and a few more mentors my rig got some extra attention and it was much appreciated. I learned a ton and certainly benefited from all your experience :bowdown:. I can't wait to pass along the knowledge and the extra pair of hands to someone else. I even got a fortune cookie that night at Pei Wei that said something to the effect of "to learn is to teach someone else," fitting. Looking forward to seeing some of you on the trail or at the next meeting. :cheers:

Justin

What time did you get your truck back together, Justin? The WBPP is a perfect way to learn not only about your truck but also about how the RS functions and why. A big thanks to Christo, Joe and Slee Off Road for providing us with such a great a learning center. I hope you guys get something positive out of the experience too.
Hey Ricardo, good job and thanks, but what's on tap next? No rest for the wicked, you know! :thumb:

Hmmmmmm

Well, we did not get my truck back together until around 4:00. Admittedly, we took longer than we should have and spent more time waiting for pizza and gabbing. So, an extra special thanks goes to those that stayed longer than was originally scheduled and to Cristo for letting us stay and not making too much fun of us.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Justin

That's what it's about Justin. Glad you made it, and it was fun working on your truck. Every time I work on someone else's rig I learn too.

mtncrsr

Lifted
Wish that I could have been there too. Was out of state with the family making some memories. Looks like everyone had a great time who went.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
OK...I"m finally getting to log onto the site. What a week!!!

I want to add my thanks to all of the help I received last weekend packing the rear bearings. Thank you Ricardo, Justin and Christo for allowing me to borrow tools needed to complete the job. Thank you Dave, Steve, Dan, etc, etc, etc for assisting me with the teardown and repair! I added the Slee step sliders to the vehicle on Sunday, so all-in-all, it was a great weekend for the cruiser.

Thanks again, Ricardo, for setting this great event up. Thank you Christo and Joe, for allowing us to use the shop and special tools. And, thanks to everyone who taught me how to do a rear axle bearing pack. I may not have picked up enough from evesdropping on Justin's job to do the front, but either way, it was a great learning opportunity!

Next time, I'll bring my tools!!! (Total Rookie Move!)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Paul,
What year is your 80 and does it have ABS? I was reading the FSM about rear axle rebuild and don't remember having to do anything regarding removing the ABS sensor on your truck although I do remember your rear axles having gear teeth on them. I'm sure we didn't overlook anything, what with Joe checking in on our progress, but would like to know if the FSM is a little overzealous as far as removing parts is concerned. I'm guessing that your truck is working as it is supposed to.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Paul,
What year is your 80 and does it have ABS? I was reading the FSM about rear axle rebuild and don't remember having to do anything regarding removing the ABS sensor on your truck although I do remember your rear axles having gear teeth on them. I'm sure we didn't overlook anything, what with Joe checking in on our progress, but would like to know if the FSM is a little overzealous as far as removing parts is concerned. I'm guessing that your truck is working as it is supposed to.
His truck does have ABS. There is a toothed ring on the hub and there is a sensor on the inside. I remember seeing that at least. I didn't see any reason that sensor had to be mucked with to do bearings or brakes (at least shoes and the like).