• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

2 ga Cable/Wire Crimping

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Letcher finners do da walkin'...

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Now, where does one find a high quality mechanical-advantage (or hydraulic) swager for less than an arm and a leg? I'm talking the ones that are 2 feet long, not the hammer/vice/cold-chisel method....

Hants, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the crimper that West Marine had attached to the work bench (on account that I couldn't use it for my application) but it looked pretty heavy duty...Big red sucker with probably a 2' handle so I imagine it would put a pretty good crimp on the cable.

I went ahead and purchased the swaging tool (looks exactly like this - nicopress swaging tool) 'cuz I was running out of options. It seemed to put a serious crimp (swag ?) on the terminal/cable. Then ('cuz I was thinking this was a temp deal) I quadruple coated the ends with some liquid black tape stuff I had (you can see it here - pic #4). If I leave it this way then I'll go ahead and put some heat shrink tube on there as well.

Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that West Marine has a work bench with a good swager... but the component supply appears sketchy.

I can justify in my mind affording the connectors & cables from West Marine if it saves spending $150+ on a swager that I'll likely only use once or twice in my lifetime. But going up there to find that they're out of supplies would be a big waste of time...

If you need me to, I can run by there for you to see if they have what you need before you make the trip up. I would just need a list/description and a few days notice. And, you're more than welcome to try the swaging tool I bought to see how it would work for you. I'm not sure if it will do 1/0 ga cable but it handled the 2ga winch cable reasonably well. Just let me know how I can help :)

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Hants, I didn't pay a lot of attention to the crimper that West Marine had attached to the work bench (on account that I couldn't use it for my application) but it looked pretty heavy duty...Big red sucker with probably a 2' handle so I imagine it would put a pretty good crimp on the cable.

I went ahead and purchased the swaging tool (looks exactly like this - nicopress swaging tool) 'cuz I was running out of options. It seemed to put a serious crimp (swag ?) on the terminal/cable. Then ('cuz I was thinking this was a temp deal) I quadruple coated the ends with some liquid black tape stuff I had (you can see it here - pic #4). If I leave it this way then I'll go ahead and put some heat shrink tube on there as well.

If you need me to, I can run by there for you to see if they have what you need before you make the trip up. I would just need a list/description and a few days notice. And, you're more than welcome to try the swaging tool I bought to see how it would work for you. I'm not sure if it will do 1/0 ga cable but it handled the 2ga winch cable reasonably well. Just let me know how I can help :)
Thanks, Jeff, for the additional info and the generous offers. :thumb::beer:

The crimper you describe at WM sounds like what I need. As I get closer to needing it, I'll touch bases with you. :)

I'm working on 4 projects concurrently -- ain't I clever! :hill:

1. OBA
2. Dual batteries with auto-paralleling
3. Auxiliary power distribution with ability to add/consolidate accessory relays
4. Winch

They're somewhat interrelated (at least the way I'm trying to do them), and I really hate doing something, then un/re-doing later.

Right now, its *possible* that I'll have OBA operational by CM. I doubt I'll get the dual batteries installed by then. The power distribution & winch projects will definitely be after CM.

:cheers:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
My cable swagger looks like a bolt cutter except the jaws have differant crimp molds. It puts an incredible swag on things! On my synthetic winch rope I pulled the original drum anchor off the first time I tried to wind it tight. I used my crimper an the old end that I reopened and it held the next time I wound it tight...no problem! When I do a winch cable or batt cable I slip on the appropriate color of heat shrink, crimp on the terminal, coat it with liquid tape then contract the heatshink. I have never had a terminal fail yet and I have been doing it that way for about 20 years!

I went ahead and purchased the swaging tool (looks exactly like this - nicopress swaging tool) 'cuz I was running out of options.

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Figured repeated blows with a hammer might do more harm than good

Necessity being the mother..................

Attachments

• 100_1162.jpg
    100_1162.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 150

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Figured repeated blows with a hammer might do more harm than good

Necessity being the mother..................

Now thats REALLY COOL! Any book techs out there wanna figure the pounds per square inch of force involved? That's bad arse! Guess now I'll have to get one of those style crimpers and put it in the 50 ton vice and so on.....and so on....and..... ;) :lmao: :thumb: