1st season Elk

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have any luck?

I spent the last three days in the woods. Had one opportunity on a bull at a full run. He was spooked by something and crashed over the ridge above me as I was traversing a bowl. He passed me at under 10 yards and never seemed to notice I was there or didn't care. I did not feel I could get a clean shot without ruining a quarter or worse gut shooting it. He ran down into deep draw where I let him rest. Came back about an hour later but he winded me and took off again.:( Its really impressive to see how fast they can move on the mountain.

Back to work tomorrow. Next year...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Fixin to go this weekend for 2nd Rifle. 2nd is the new 1st with this changing climate!!

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sorry you couldn't connect this year Corbet. I shot a small 4x4.

Good luck Chili in 2nd season. I must disagree about the changing climate. At least up north in the Flat Tops. Just had 6 days of winter type weather. Two storms of snow and blowing snow and every morning in the low 20's. Could only sit in the the morning for about 30-45 minutes before I had to get up and start moving again.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
After years of super difficult hunting. I finally got lucky and had a bull walk out in front of me on opening day. Near the trail and only a half mile from the truck. :) Granted he was small but I'll take it. A minute later a larger 5x5 wanted to exit our direction and walked right in front of us for my friend to shoot. My other friend Dan had to hunt hard unsuccessfully for the rest of the season. Then on the final day he shot the famous "Bearded Bull" that we bugled in to us in Sept.

The 4Runner was totally maxed out with 3 elk and gear. There was only a inch or so of snow left. I didn't think it would be a problem getting out. But, on a few steep hills in the trees with all that weight I only barely made it out. I was gunning up a hill and slid around and toward some trees. I stay on the gas down into a ditch and barley made it. It would have been an ugly winch fest otherwise.

Attachments

• 20121013_084831 (Small).jpg
    20121013_084831 (Small).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 20121018_112203 (Small).jpg
    20121018_112203 (Small).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 282

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hey that totally rocks Scott!! Congrats on the successful hunt!!!! Sounds amazing!

The runner looks happy in the last picture.