• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

1985 mini spindle bushings or bearings?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Just looking for some experience with spindle bushings on my 1985 mini truck front axle.

How important are they on my solid axle truck?
I don't have any bad noises, but they are probably beat.
Should I replace them with new brass bushings? Is there a needle bearing replacement option for my 1985 spindles? Should I just leave them alone? What is the wear measurement on these?

Thanks for sharing your input.

-S

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
the cruisers all used spindle bushings also, and i've taken apart 40 year old front ends that didn't look trashed. i've never seen a trashed spindle bushing, but this year, i apparently need to check the ones in clampy cause htey were making a lot of noise, so maybe i'll see whatthey look like when they go bad.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
There is a needle bearing retrofit for Clampy that will silence that thing.

None for the 85 though. The bushings are pretty critical to hold the birf in alignment and not all that difficult to replace with a press. They are a wear item but don't wear all that fast (unless lube is neglected). They don't *look* worn, but have too much play.

Just check it next time you overhaul the front end, which oughta be a biannual event. Covered in the FSM. BTW, I have an 85 FSM on CD or can give you a link if you want to download it.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Chili: I caught all you posts on the 4x4 wire thread of yesteryear. The picture of a birfield outer vs. a CV shaft outer makes it clear that the later needle bearings are a "no way" kind of thing.

I guess I'll put together a shopping list for front end work. might as well do everything at once.

Bi-annual? Like 2x/year? I'm into more like once every 4 years.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
We were taking apart my dad's 79 40 the other day and I came up with a question I couldn't answer. How do these bushings get lubed? When you slip the spindle over the shaft, I always add a little lube to the brass bushing but the way I see it, the only way it could get lubed regularly, would be to fill the knuckle at least half full. The discussion on Mud came to the conclusion that it is not necessary to fill the knuckle, just grease the birf and the trunion bearings.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bi-annual? Like 2x/year? I'm into more like once every 4 years.
Naw, that would be semi-annual.
I do it about every two years. Not all that much more work than doing the front wheel bearings alone, so why not?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We were taking apart my dad's 79 40 the other day and I came up with a question I couldn't answer. How do these bushings get lubed? When you slip the spindle over the shaft, I always add a little lube to the brass bushing but the way I see it, the only way it could get lubed regularly, would be to fill the knuckle at least half full. The discussion on Mud came to the conclusion that it is not necessary to fill the knuckle, just grease the birf and the trunion bearings.
Hmmm... I'd doubt the Mud advice then.

I always fill my knucks about 1/2 full, IIRC that is the FSM method. I'd go FSM over forum most days unless proven otherwise over time (happens, though somewhat rare).

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I used to fill my knuckles then I would break a birfield and the inner seal would invariably get ruined, and all that grease would mix with 90 weight and leak onto my brakes. Ruined a couple sets like that(I also removed the dustshields to be fair). I figured if you grease the birfield up good and stuff some into the knuckle with your hand, that should be good. I know you can fill them but it usually ends up in more mess!

BTW Rude are you talking about the kingpin bearings and races? Or am I confused(not hard). Those are easy with a drift and a six pack once every couple years like Bill said.

also when are we building bumpers? :)

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Hiya J Kimmel:

I'm talkin' about the brass/bronze/sintered bronze bushing that the stub shaft of the birfield runs in. It is inside the spindle that the wheel bearings run on.

I only greased the birfs and trunion bearings and smeared a thin coat inside the knuckles to keep them from rusting. That was what? 3+ years ago. The birfs still click the same as they always did.

As far as the bumper building, pretty soon would be good. :) For now, I should just simply add some stuff to the winch mount I already have. Really simple is fine for my needs. Simple = light weight and it'll be better than the "turn signal holders" I have today.

Might be a ski/snowboard weekend this weekend.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I used to fill my knuckles then I would break a birfield and the inner seal would invariably get ruined, and all that grease would mix with 90 weight and leak onto my brakes. Ruined a couple sets like that(I also removed the dustshields to be fair). I figured if you grease the birfield up good and stuff some into the knuckle with your hand, that should be good. I know you can fill them but it usually ends up in more mess!
The cure there ain't less grease, it's more Longfield...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Woot!
With beefy u-joints?

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
nah, stock stuff. Haven't broke in almost 4 years with 40's :) (except the steering box when Rude rescued me;) oh and the t-case)

low gears and gentle driving have gotten me up everything so far!