Wanted 1969-1971 FJ40 carb

Looking to find and/or buy something? Add this prefix to your thread.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I appreciate your effort. I just want to make absolutely sure it’s going to be the right one for me. 🙏

Okay I went and checked again tonight and sure enough it has those Jim Chenoweth described markings! This is like Indiana Jones brushing the dust off of hieroglyphics, eh?

Side note, Jim and I have had numerous phone conversations and even though I haven't met him in person I consider him a friend. He built the carbs in my 1971 FJ40, my 1976 FJ40 (which Neil Quigley borrowed LOL for his 1977 FJ40 in CM 2007) and my FJ60.

As Ricardo wrote above, yeah I am sure it will work with whatever your plans are for your new-to-you 40. It doesn't use a letter for the month but the leading 4 presumes it is from a 1974, and the one in the middle instead of a letter suggests that it is January. I have worked on stock 1974s that have mechanical linkage so I bet that the switch from cable to mechanical was some time during the middle of the 1974 production year.

You are welcome to it, same price I paid for it, free. I wasn't planning on going down the hill for the Rally Coloyoda but in any case we should get together for a jam. Drummer @JadeRunner and I played in numerous bands over the years and if I'm not mistaken, I think our current Commander plays bass.

On the driveshaft business, I am partway through putting new Toyota u-joints into my spare rear 87 FJ60 driveshaft, and gave up went to work on different projects when I had some trouble with pressing in the u-joints. If you wanna help me get those new u-joints pressed in, you are welcome to the rear driveshaft that's in there now. I think I have a spare front too. The one that's in my 60 right now has no-problem u-joints but the last time I checked it the slip joint was way worn and loose, even though it doesn't vibrate.

IMG_20240507_204239744~2.jpg

Carbon14

Wincher
I have a '74 Asian carb in good working order. I switched to a Weber. If you would like, we can make an arrangement. The switch from mechanical to cable linkage is easily swapped.