• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

0w40 Mobile One anywhere?

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
shell rotella (fleet) oil has always been very highly ranked.
I'm with chili here. 0 weight oil seems pretty darn thin. I'm running 20W50 and have been for 8 years. (my oil pressure seems just too low with 10W30. I think I damaged the engine with 10w30 flat towing a CJ7 to Moab and back.)

I change it every 5,000 miles because it it too hard to keep track of the 3k interval. 126,000, 129,000...258,000... Much easier to keep track of 130,000, 135,000 ... 260,000.

Yep. wWhatever I'm doin' "Wrong" with my 5,000 mile oil changes with 20W50 has gotten me to 260,000 miles. I lost cam seals and valve cover seals when I put in 5 qts of non-synthetic 20W50 that my father in law gave me at 255,000. I think that is just coincidence. I have seen no difference in mileage or performance with various makes of synthetic oil. Wal-mart to Mobile 1. It all looks the same going in and coming out. Castrol seems to burn a little more, but that's about it. Most of the time I've used mobile 1, but I've also used wal-mart synthetic. I just use whatever I can find in 20W50. If I have choices, I shop price.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Did a little search and destroy this morning...Actually more searching than anything else...

For those stuck on Mobil 1 0W40, Mobil 1 75W90 Gear Oil, and Valvoline Max Life ATF

First stop was Pep Boys @ C470 and Quebec:
  • Mobil 1 0W40 - Not available
  • Mobil 1 75W90 - $10.99/qt
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.99/qt
Second stop was Walmart @ C470 and Quebec:
  • Mobil 1 75W90 - Not available
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.58/qt
Final stop was Checker Auto @ County Line and Holly:
  • Mobil 1 0W40 - $5.99/qt
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.79/qt (although online is $3.28/qt which they matched)
But don't bother going to the Checker for awhile as I bought up all of their stock of Mobil 1 0W40 and of the Valvoline Max Life ATF. Still a little short of what I need so I will have to keep looking but in case anyone else down South is looking for this stuff I thought I'd pass this along.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Personally I think it wisest to stick with the OEM recommended weight, whatever it might be for the engine. It's what was tested. It's what the oil pump/lubrication system was designed around. YMMV.

RE: Mobil1 gear oil, it's fine stuff (just do NOT put it in a manual tranny!). It does seem to require the very best in seal conditions - it will find any marginal axle or pinion seals. Frankly, though, I think given our uses it would be wiser to use dino oil (with, perhaps, BG MGC as a fortifier) and change it more often. Keep the diffs and transfer cases clean and water-free. I've produced some very pretty ring gears this way.

Redline Shockproof makes sense for synthetic R&P lube. Especially for severe use. I've had very good luck with either dino gear lube + BG MGC or Redline MT-90 in the manual trannies.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
>>Mobil1 gear oil, it's fine stuff (just do NOT put it in a manual tranny!).

I presume you mean the 75w-90. Why not put it in manual trannys?
I agree that in an FJ40, it will find/create/exploit any leaks.

Steve

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
It won't hurt anything, but your tranny won't shift for crap either. Mobil1 is GL5, designed for shear-force ring gears, and ends up being way too slippery for brass synchros which require a bit of 'grab' in order to work. Toyota specs GL4 or GL5 for trannies, which tends to be just fine for dino oil. With synthetics, the rating means what it says, and GL5 is too slippery while a good quality GL4 is just right. As in Redline MT-90, or other good synth GL4 oils.

The exception would be Pennzoil GL4 synthetic. Thinks I, oh shucks. Lighten up on Pennz. The auto parts store had some synth GL4, and I thought I'd try it.

Bad idea. Expensive lesson.
vis.gif

dog.GIF

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
I'd just like a Toyota manual tranny in 4Runner to last more than 180K without a rebuild - hence synthetic.

My brother and I run synth 75w-90 in our 3rd gen 4Runners (5 speeds) and they shift fine, and better at low temps. YMMV.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Shoot...you reminded me I need to grab some ATF also, sigh. I did find the 0W40 a couple of places. I thought on my old 80 I used Mobile 1 Synth ATF. Anyone seen it anywhere? Or will Valvoline Max Life work for now? Just draining and fillinf ~4 quarts when I change the oil...

:beer: :hill: :beer:

T

Did a little search and destroy this morning...Actually more searching than anything else...

For those stuck on Mobil 1 0W40, Mobil 1 75W90 Gear Oil, and Valvoline Max Life ATF

First stop was Pep Boys @ C470 and Quebec:
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.99/qt
Second stop was Walmart @ C470 and Quebec:
  • Mobil 1 75W90 - Not available
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.58/qt
Final stop was Checker Auto @ County Line and Holly:
  • Mobil 1 0W40 - $5.99/qt
  • Valvoline Max Life ATF - $3.79/qt (although online is $3.28/qt which they matched)
But don't bother going to the Checker for awhile as I bought up all of their stock of Mobil 1 0W40 and of the Valvoline Max Life ATF. Still a little short of what I need so I will have to keep looking but in case anyone else down South is looking for this stuff I thought I'd pass this along.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Sorry Timm but I wasn't paying too close attention for Mobil 1 ATF...But, IIRC I think all three places I checked for the other stuff had the Mobil 1 ATF.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'd just like a Toyota manual tranny in 4Runner to last more than 180K without a rebuild - hence synthetic.

My brother and I run synth 75w-90 in our 3rd gen 4Runners (5 speeds) and they shift fine, and better at low temps. YMMV.
Yeah, I run synth 75W90 too, GL4, same reason.