• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

0w40 Mobile One anywhere?

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone see any in town? 3 Wal-Marts and 1 Pepboys later and I am still looking. Need to do some PM this weekend on the 80 so it won't get too jealous when the 40 takes over the spot in the garage. :) Thanks.

T

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
It's always been at the walmart on Arapahoe Road when I looked, just east of Havana. Might try calling them.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
the Wallmart at Flatirons Crossing has it. Wallmart in Lafayette does not. Autozone in lafayette has it. Checker does not.

Rarely do they have more than 4 quarts though. I actually keep a 9 quart "safety stock" in the garage, then after an oil change spend the next couple months picking up a quart or two here & there. If you really got in a pinch and wanted to borrow some let me know.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
the Wallmart at Flatirons Crossing has it. Wallmart in Lafayette does not. Autozone in lafayette has it. Checker does not.

Rarely do they have more than 4 quarts though. I actually keep a 9 quart "safety stock" in the garage, then after an oil change spend the next couple months picking up a quart or two here & there. If you really got in a pinch and wanted to borrow some let me know.

That's what I used to do, but somehow fell behind. Thanks for the info guys, I will do some calling...although I have not had the best of luck calling...half the time they are wrong anyway...

If anyone sees any soon, but me some! I'll come pick it up with your favorite 6-pack.

:)

T

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Walmart down doesn't carry it... neither does the local Mobil distributor... best price & easiest I've found is Amazon.com (of all places)...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
0Wbenefit unless you're running your rig in -40° conditions. JMHO - to each their own :)

I just looked and don't have the links on this computer, but there's literally a buttload of discussions of what the pros and cons of different oil types (dino vs synth vs blend) different brands and different viscosities. IMHO changing oil and filter regularly trumps, what kind of oil you use.

If you want to use 0W40 syth, go for it! I don't think it's worth the extra money, but some folks do and it's hotly debated. A Land Cruiser engine, properly built (and no, my F engine refresh this past summer doesn't count, that was quick and cheap!) should last 200-300k miles as long as the oil and filter are changed regularly; I change both every 2500 miles/4000kMs.

Again, JMHO, after putting over three quarter of a million miles on my Land Cruisers.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Here is the Oil FAQ from the 80's section on Mud. Looks like I need to fix the links for the pictures

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=79305

Mobil 1 0-40W and Redline 5-30W are actually close in viscosity. Mobil 1 tends to be thinner at weights. cary and Raventai, who helped with the FAQ, are very knowledgeable about oil.

If you really want to know wabout oil, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Those guys know more about oil than I will ever hope to know. 0W40 Mobil 1 is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. A little more expensive, put pretty cheap insurance.

Oh, and thanks for the links Romer. The 80 FAQ is awesome!!
T

Here is the Oil FAQ from the 80's section on Mud. Looks like I need to fix the links for the pictures

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=79305

Mobil 1 0-40W and Redline 5-30W are actually close in viscosity. Mobil 1 tends to be thinner at weights. cary and Raventai, who helped with the FAQ, are very knowledgeable about oil.

If you really want to know wabout oil, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Stupid question maybe but are we talking about the regular Mobil 1 0W40 or are people looking for/buying the Mobil 1 0W40 extended life?

Dang stuff seems to be fairly rare...I've got to hit some local joints first to see who might carry it but last ditch effort will be Autobarn.com - They have a $10 off online coupon through the end of March and offer free shipping on orders over $150 and assuming they don't charge tax then this might be my best bet.

At Autobarn Mobil 1 (reg stuff) is $6.79/qt, Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube is $7.99 per bottle, and the Valvoline DEXRON III Maxlife ATF is $4.49 per qt for anyone looking. Seems like the oil and ATF fluid is higher than local but the gear lube looks to be a few bucks less than local :dunno:

Just in case anyone else is looking :thumb:

Bighead

Trail Ready
Dang stuff seems to be fairly rare...I've got to hit some local joints first to see who might carry it but last ditch effort will be Autobarn.com - They have a $10 off online coupon through the end of March and offer free shipping on orders over $150 and assuming they don't charge tax then this might be my best bet.

At Autobarn Mobil 1 (reg stuff) is $6.79/qt, Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube is $7.99 per bottle, and the Valvoline DEXRON III Maxlife ATF is $4.49 per qt for anyone looking. Seems like the oil and ATF fluid is higher than local but the gear lube looks to be a few bucks less than local :dunno:

Just in case anyone else is looking :thumb:
I need going to check that place out. I spent all day Saturday driving around the Springs trying to find Mobil 1 Syn ATF. I finally found it at an Advance store. Completely wasted a day doing this...my wife was not happy since she was with me. :eek:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I need going to check that place out. I spent all day Saturday driving around the Springs trying to find Mobil 1 Syn ATF. I finally found it at an Advance store. Completely wasted a day doing this...my wife was not happy since she was with me. :eek:

She was unhappy that she was with you?

or

She was unhappy that you spent the day looking for oil?

:D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

LOL...I know what you mean. I figured I've driven 100's of virtual miles on my computer looking for stuff. You would figure with today's technology it would be as simple as going to Mobil's site, looking up what you want, clicking on a "where to buy link", going to that site, and finding out if they carry it and if it is in stock.

Calling often times isn't any better as whoever you talk to either has no clue, won't go check, just says yes when the answer should be no, or tries to convince you that they need to look up your vehicle to see what is "recommended". I'm going to go by two stores and if I can't find what I need at either one then I'm just going to order online and wait for the UPS guy to show up :thumb:

So anyone on whether the regular Mobil 1 0W40 oil is fine or is everyone using the "Extended Life" stuff? Too many choices make my brain hurt :hill:

Bighead

Trail Ready
She was unhappy that she was with you?

or

She was unhappy that you spent the day looking for oil?

:D
Unhappy that she spent the day looking for oil.

Someday I'll learn to proof read before hitting "submit". :eek:

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I am running the Shell Rotella 5W-40, which has been excellent for me and is highly reviewed on Mud vs. Mobile 1 for the 1ZFE engine. Walmart sells this stuff for about $15 a gallon, which is around half the cost of Mobile 1.

Highly recommended as a value choice.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Just curious... what is the factory recommended SAE weight?

The 93-94 is 10-30wt
95-97 5-30wt

Thin oil is not always a good thing, your high milage engine might not like the lack of shearing force that the thin oil can handle. If you just built a fresh engine with main and rod clearances in the .00125" range then thin oil is good. A sloppy old .0025-.003" rod and mains will like the thicker stuff better.

Most people need a good feeling though, and if expensive oil is your thing. On a side note, wall mart supertech oil has the highest anti gelling, heat burn, anticorrosive and the highest lubricity of all conventional oils. (source BG Laboritories)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Kinda what I was thinking... funny how these things go 'round. On Wallyworld oil, you can bet if they get a cheaper supplier the specs could change in a New York minit though...