Yaesu FT2800

I know some people have this and was wondering how you liked it. Uses would be trail runs and chatting around town.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
haven't used it, but i guess it's ok;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
From what I've heard, this is a great radio. Groucho and Shark Bait both own one.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I have not used mine yet. It's going in my 40 soon. :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
It's a single-band radio, meaning 2m only, but it's cheap and small and if I didn't *have* to have 70-cm capability, I would definitely be going with it :thumb: Remember resale on these radios isn't too bad, so even if you don't like it you can always upgrade later.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
It's a single-band radio, meaning 2m only, but it's cheap and small ....

It's considered pretty rugged, too. That's why it's a great choice for a 40. :D

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I will probably never get rid of mine. For two reasons.

1. It is only $120 right now. When I bought mine it was $156.
2. It takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

I for one believe I will never see a necessity in having 70CM on my radios. Most common repeaters on the front range have both, so either 2M or 70CM can be used.

70CM may be a good alternative for trail usage, though. It will be more effective over varied terrain, but shorter distances.

Don't break the bank if you don't have to. It's kinda like the difference between having a slightly more powered winch than what is recommended. Sure, its nice to have, but by no means necessary.

My .02

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The only thing about using it I would miss is the wide band receive. It does not do AM or VHF below 136MHz, it's a 2m FM rig only. I sometimes listen to air traffic.

No fan, that is nice IMO but that means you have to make sure to leave some space around it. No cramming it into a tight space.

Face does no separate, so that could be an issue for some installations.

the price is what got me looking in to it. ham city also had the FT-1800 which is a more rugged model? more expensive but if its stronget than the 2800 than probably a good choice for the 40.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
the price is what got me looking in to it. ham city also had the FT-1800 which is a more rugged model? more expensive but if its stronget than the 2800 than probably a good choice for the 40.
I think you mean the FT-1802, which is a similar radio in terms of specs as the FT-2800 (the main diff I can see is that the -1802 is 50W and the -2800 is 65W, which isn't a big deal), but I think the -2800 is the more rugged of the two. It's got a bigger heat sink anyway and neither has a fan.

Ya looking in to it further I found the same results. Wise in the Force is this one":yoda: