Yaesu FT-8900R

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Hi,

I want to put a dedicated radio in our new 200 and I'm considering an 89000R. I have an 857D that I use as a base in the house and put it in the 40 for runs, but I think I want a dedicated 8900R for the 200. Any thoughts on this radio? I don't really see myself operating on HF from the 200 so the 8900R seems like the sweet spot.

Are any of you generals other than Nathaniel and Dave operating HF from your rigs?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Jeff I have had a couple FT-8800's and really liked them. I believe the 8900 is the same thing just upgraded.. the true dual band is awesome- kinda wish I had that radio in my current ride, as even dual watch isn't nearly the same. If you don't want the big fancy screen of the FTM-400 then I think the 8900 is a good one to get.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My only comment: My next radio will do all the fancy APRS stuff. Not sure if the 8900 does this. If I was buying right now, I'd probably go for the FTM-400 or something similar.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have an FT-8800, which is the same radio without 6m and 10m. It's a great radio. Based on that I would recommend it.

The FT-8900 cannot do "fancy" APRS stuff. It can be an APRS radio but you'd have to dedicate it to that since it can't do APRS in the background simultaneous to voice on the primary side.

Which brings up a point. If you don't want APRS then the FTM-400 is an awful lot of money for features you'll never use. The FT-8900 does all the regular analog, dual band, dual VFO stuff the FTM-400 does but does not have digital modes nor APRS.

The FT-8900 does add 6m and 10m but those aren't really a substitute for your FT-857 as they are FM only. Very little 6m and 10m traffic is FM, mostly it's SSB or RTTY. IMHO those features look nice on a brochure but aren't really practical. To use 6m and 10m you need a quad band antenna or run a duplexer with multiple antennas. It's frankly a PITA.

I don't do mobile HF. Had it for a while but it's not something I did much (mobile) and when I did get to camp being tied to the cab of the truck wasn't enjoyable. I just take the 857 portable and set up on a table if I want to use it in the field.

All that said, if I was buying an analog radio for the truck right now it would still be the FT-7900. If I had the money (and didn't already have the FT-8800, which is in a box) I'd buy one right now to put on the shelf because it's probably going to be discontinued before long. They already stopped making the FT-8800 a couple of years ago and the 7900 and 8900 came out at the same around the same time, about 15 years ago now.

Alternatively, if I was looking for an APRS radio it would be a TM-D710. The only reason to get the FTM-400 in my view is if you want Yaesu Fusion, their digital mode. I personally use DMR instead, just more actual traffic and users right now. Maybe the Fusion will catch on, I dunno. Alinco seems to be going with DMR, though. Kenwood and of course Icom do D-STAR.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dave,
thanks for the detailed and nuanced response. One serious downside to Kenwood radios is that we don't get Dave's programming like we do with Yaesu... Unless you tell me you have programming for Kenwood's, I would stick to Yaesu's for this reason alone.:)

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The FTM-400 color touch interface might be pretty nice, some of the newer displays are very pleasant at night and daylight readable etc. I haven't used one but if they designed it 'right' then it should be a little easier to navigate the menus on the -400 vs old style interfaces. It's a Yeasu and would look right at home in a 200.

If the -400 had blue-tooth that worked with APRSdroid I'd have one already.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
All that said, if I was buying an analog radio for the truck right now it would still be the FT-7900.

Still rocking my 7800 in the 80. I feel so validated. :D