Wyatt’s 40

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Great build thread!
I still have a bucket of emissions stuff somewhere from the 76 project if you need something let me know

Cool to work on with your son!!
I may need to dig through your bucket for our 76. Lol.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
This is an awesome first car for him!!! I remember having to do so much on my first car. It was a 65 Plymouth Belvedere, and I ended up rebuilding the transmission on that baby!!

wesintl

RS Moderator
I’ve heard other folks here talk about leaning out the carb to help pass emissions. Are you talking about rejetting it?
No. Can lean it out a little but honestly the tweaked oem settings yield best result. Ed cook showed me how to adjust a carb way back when https://www.ih8mud.com/tech/carbinfo.php
Another good source is Ryan. I knew Ryan when he was still in high school. He explains things very well.
View: https://youtu.be/abfWuj1zfZE?si=sL-6q8YN8SvTyhYR

Grandpa Gus.

The little scent packets have worked for my folks. We bought a box of 30 and put them in all our trucks. They don’t smell bad, and if they are a decent deterrent I’ll be overjoyed.

Dan
They came along with the purchase. I generally don’t have issue here in the burbs. I have a heater and blower restore kit that will be another post. I’ll try those grandpa Gus kits tho for an air freshener :)
I should do a search, but...are those window runs easy to replace?
You have to pull the panel and drop the window off the regulator track down. Easy to do just takes some patience. I’ll send Wyatt over to help if you need :)

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I may need to dig through your bucket for our 76. Lol.
A couple things dictate what parts you need. Mainly the carb year (ports), dizzy, retard or advance, and the exhaust manifold. It generally doesn’t work piecing parts together from different years due to compatibility. It’s honestly best to use all a single year emissions. Let me know if you need help figuring out what you need.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
A couple things dictate what parts you need. Mainly the carb year (ports), dizzy, retard or advance, and the exhaust manifold. It generally doesn’t work piecing parts together from different years due to compatibility. It’s honestly best to use all a single year emissions. Let me know if you need help figuring out what you need.
Oh yes, we've discovered the differences in years issues. We have a 76, in need of a smog pump. Having a heck of a time finding a good one or rebuilt one.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Back to the little things. If you’ve never had a late model 40 the light switch lights up when pulled. Most don’t know this as it’s often burned out. I tried a traditional incandescent bulb but it barely lit up. Now I know I have readers now but Wyatt verified it was barely lit. Mark Baker aka coolerman is an ole timer on mud he’s a wiring guru and as built many a wiring harness. I got a bunch of terminals from him as I had to fix many areas. The one thing I purchased from him is a green led light switch bulb. This is the one to get at the bottom of the page Misc. Electrical Parts.

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:

RDub

Oh yes, we've discovered the differences in years issues. We have a 76, in need of a smog pump. Having a heck of a time finding a good one or rebuilt one.
Have you tried B-Z Rebuilders in CA? They are the only folks I’ve found that rebuild air pumps. Got one rebuilt for my 60 there and cost was reasonable.

VoodooBlue_Vixen

Rising Sun Member
Have you tried B-Z Rebuilders in CA? They are the only folks I’ve found that rebuild air pumps. Got one rebuilt for my 60 there and cost was reasonable.
The pulley on this one is broken. 🥺

RDub

The pulley on this one is broken. 🥺
Might still be worth a call. For mine they had a small stock of rebuilt units so they sent me one of those, and I followed up by sending them mine as a core. They may be able to take yours as a core?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I’m gonna fix up the seats and recover them but, as noted previously the seat backs were a mouse house hotel. Even the bottom cushions reeks. Now Specter makes seat cushions but not seat backs. There is so much urine and feces on the metal it needs to be sand blasted, new cushions and covers. Seat back cushions would have to be custom made.

If anyone has a lead on some reasonable bucket seats I could use a better starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3727.jpeg
    IMG_3727.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3717.jpeg
    IMG_3717.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
🍿 keep up the great work, feeling a little nostalgic here.

wesintl

RS Moderator
We replaced the jump seat covers and some foam from SOR. The 🌞 sun and UV destroyed the oem vinyl and part of the foam cushion. New straps to hold them up too. She had hooks drilled into them with some cable for dragging logs.

Finally received some oem bolts for the oem pintle and put on oem reflectors until we can replace the rear sill.

Attachments

• IMG_3751.jpeg
    IMG_3751.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3749.jpeg
    IMG_3749.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3752.png
    IMG_3752.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
This 40 was originally sold at Stevinson. Jane said a Denver nugget owned it. I can’t find any evidence based on the paper work but maybe it was someone in the front office. They traded it in, only god knows why but I bet they wish never got rid of it. Jane bought it from Burt Toyota 3 days before Xmas in 1984. She and her late husband had the cruiser 39 years. Cost in 1984 for a used 40, 5k

Attachments

• IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Wes glad to see that this 40 made it into good hands that will bring it back from the grave.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
This 40 was originally sold at Stevinson. Jane said a Denver nugget owned it. I can’t find any evidence based on the paper work but maybe it was someone in the front office. They traded it in, only god knows why but I bet they wish never got rid of it. Jane bought it from Burt Toyota 3 days before Xmas in 1984. She and her late husband had the cruiser 39 years.
That's cool to see the old Stevinson logo underneath the Burt logo.

wesintl

RS Moderator
The spare rattled against the ambi door hard. I dug out an old spare latch I have off a tailgate when the top is off. You can see how worn the latch is. Next time the welder is out we can try and add some metal back to it. For now no more rattles with a good latch. I still need to get another spare rubber bumper for the carrier.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3757.jpeg
    IMG_3757.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3755.jpeg
    IMG_3755.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

wesintl

RS Moderator
The 40 must have been an outside cruiser. Apart from the seats there is a lot of UV fading. Time to fix the gauge needles. Testors Orange Fluorescent needle upgrade.

Attachments

• IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3857.jpeg
    IMG_3857.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3855.jpeg
    IMG_3855.jpeg