• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

For Sale Front end wreck 3rd gen 4runner $2000

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Doing this as a feeler at the suggestion of @DanielChase and this is a very limited-time offer as I have to make a decision for insurance by Wednesday next week at the absolute latest. I would love to see this truck live on in the club if possible. Disclaimer right off the batt, frame isn't obviously tweaked but there is a chance that it is and airbags are blown. Would anyone want to buy it at 2000? My buyback is 1257 on it. I would want to take the winch, radio (I have my old school single din still that was in there), and 33s with the wheels. As far as I know she should still run fine as the radiator did not get pushed all the way into the fan (I can spin the fan by hand still). As long as you can provide some 6.5x5 wheels with some tires on it she should roll at least onto a trailer for you (after taking off the front steel bumper since it is pinning the front wheels atm).

What you would get:
-Engine, trans, transfer and LCA skids (with some dings and scratches but that's what they are for) and sliders
-Full rebuilt suspension with OME Nitrocharger in the front giving you 1.75" lift, front suspension is poly bushings in stock LCAs and JBAs for the uppers. Rear is LC80 front coils with LC80 rear Tokico shocks for about 3.5" lift. Rear arms have been replaced with Mevotech Supreme arms which are OEM+
-New OEM rack and tie rods.
-Newer CVs (Duralast Golds), one does have a pinhole leak in the outer boot
-Rear elocker all wired up with aftermarket harness/switch. The actuator has been rebuilt in it as well. I didn't quite get the FIPG perfect on it though and it does have a VERY slow leak (like top it off every 2 months kind of leak). 4.30 gear ratio with matching 4.30 front diff with new seals.
-Auxbeam 6 gang switch that I have the locker wired through so that you have to hit two switches to activate it.
-Well running 5vz with 292k on it. Runs like a champ. Has an on again off again valve cover gasket leak that is very slow. Had a slight oil pan leak that I fixed by retorquing it. I haven't seen it leak since my last oil change (which the truck is getting due for I've already switched it to Mobil1 High Milage)
-5 speed r150f trans that has been running well, might need things adjusted with the clutch or maybe a bleed as it will be extra notchy going into some gears on really cold days. To be fair this could also be the synchros though. Shifts perfectly fine when warm, just did fluids pretty recently on that.
-J shifter transfer case for pure mechanical reliability.
-Some other odds and ends not listed here but can discuss further if interested. I think I covered the major stuff
-I have kept some pretty good records of my own maintenance and have a lot of receipts. I also have records from the PO who did timing belt and water pump not long before I got the truck.

The damage:
-Grill
-Hood
-Fenders
-Upper radiator bracket (radiator did not spring a leak but is getting due for replacement anyway)
-Obviously the Addicted Offroad bumper is toast, I'll even leave this if you want to take it in for scrap value. It might have actually saved the frame from getting tweaked as it pivoted instead of smashing in.
-The big plus in all of this is that she's already got a matte black rattle can job so color matching is a breeze on any of the body parts.

I think this basically covers most of it. HMU if you have interest but like I said this is a limited time offer, ideally I would like to know before Monday so I can chop the sliders off if I end up giving it up to the junkers.

Last edited:

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Doing this as a feeler at the suggestion of @DanielChase and this is a very limited-time offer as I have to make a decision for insurance by Wednesday next week at the absolute latest. I would love to see this truck live on in the club if possible. Disclaimer right off the batt, frame isn't obviously tweaked but there is a chance that it is and airbags are blown. Would anyone want to buy it at 2000? My buyback is 1257 on it. I would want to take the winch, radio (I have my old school single din still that was in there), and 33s with the wheels. As far as I know she should still run fine as the radiator did not get pushed all the way into the fan (I can spin the fan by hand still). As long as you can provide some 6.5x5 wheels with some tires on it she should roll at least onto a trailer for you (after taking off the front steel bumper since it is pinning the front wheels atm).

What you would get:
-Engine, trans, transfer and LCA skids (with some dings and scratches but that's what they are for) and sliders
-Full rebuilt suspension with OME Nitrocharger in the front giving you 1.75" lift, front suspension is poly bushings in stock LCAs and JBAs for the uppers. Rear is LC80 front coils with LC80 rear Tokico shocks for about 3.5" lift. Rear arms have been replaced with Mevotech Supreme arms which are OEM+
-New OEM rack and tie rods.
-Newer CVs (Duralast Golds), one does have a pinhole leak in the outer boot
-Rear elocker all wired up with aftermarket harness/switch. The actuator has been rebuilt in it as well. I didn't quite get the FIPG perfect on it though and it does have a VERY slow leak (like top it off every 2 months kind of leak). 4.30 gear ratio with matching 4.30 front diff with new seals.
-Auxbeam 6 gang switch that I have the locker wired through so that you have to hit two switches to activate it.
-Well running 5vz with 292k on it. Runs like a champ. Has an on again off again valve cover gasket leak that is very slow. Had a slight oil pan leak that I fixed by retorquing it. I haven't seen it leak since my last oil change (which the truck is getting due for I've already switched it to Mobil1 High Milage)
-5 speed r151f trans that has been running well, might need things adjusted with the clutch or maybe a bleed as it will be extra notchy going into some gears on really cold days. To be fair this could also be the synchros though. Shifts perfectly fine when warm, just did fluids pretty recently on that.
-J shifter transfer case for pure mechanical reliability.
-Some other odds and ends not listed here but can discuss further if interested. I think I covered the major stuff
-I have kept some pretty good records of my own maintenance and have a lot of receipts. I also have records from the PO who did timing belt and water pump not long before I got the truck.

The damage:
-Grill
-Hood
-Fenders
-Upper radiator bracket (radiator did not spring a leak but is getting due for replacement anyway)
-Obviously the Addicted Offroad bumper is toast, I'll even leave this if you want to take it in for scrap value. It might have actually saved the frame from getting tweaked as it pivoted instead of smashing in.
-The big plus in all of this is that she's already got a matte black rattle can job so color matching is a breeze on any of the body parts.

I think this basically covers most of it. HMU if you have interest but like I said this is a limited time offer, ideally I would like to know before Monday so I can chop the sliders off if I end up giving it up to the junkers.
So rattle can hood & fenders, headlights and you’re off any running with a 5spd 3rd gen with a rear locker. I like it…

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Can you post a few before and after pics?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Is it really a R151F 5-speed (e.g. swapped from a 86 or 87 turbo pickup)? That and an e-locker would be well worth the asking price alone. The R151F by itself probably would be!

Good luck, if I didn't just spend so much I'd really think about it.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Is it really a R151F 5-speed (e.g. swapped from a 86 or 87 turbo pickup)? That and an e-locker would be well worth the asking price alone. The R151F by itself probably would be!

Good luck, if I didn't just spend so much I'd really think about it.
Sorry it's a r150f my bad

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Can you post a few before and after pics?
IMG_20231210_152945899_HDR~3.jpg

IMG_20240412_152456144_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240412_152519720.jpg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Also forgot to mention the windshield obviously cracked from the passenger airbag going off.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
To update I pulled the bumper yesterday and It looks like no noticeable frame damage, everything appears square and no cracked welds in the front. I think between the bumper pivoting on the mounting plate and all my skids helping to stiffen the frame that it held together. Get some of those wide flare fenders, a new front body, a new hood and new radiator and top radiator cross member and she would be good to go. I would love to see someone totally send it by sassing her, putting a triple stick in and an ALH TDI (that was my dream build for this) but I'll settle for just seeing her live to hit more trails.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I've decided to buy the 4runner back and will be informing my insurance so this is no longer as limited time offer as originally I posted. That said I will eventually start parting it out (honestly I stand to make a LOT more money doing that but I'd love to not see all my work be scattered to the 4 winds). Obviously it will take some time for copart to get me a salvaged title (probably not terribly long though) so I can't get it sold right away. Really hoping once people get back from CM that I'll start having some interest. I'll probably try and get a battery back in it and do a startup video here in the next few days. Also I will put the offer out for my help in labor when I am able to contribute if anyone buys it and is fairly near Littleton. I'd love to lend a hand if it means seeing the truck stay in one piece.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Ohhh and another thing I forgot to add in the original posting, the ABS light has been on for months on this. Anyone who knows 3rd gens though knows that the ABS system in these things is pretty terrible anyways and likes to just go off at the stupidest times. I just got the in habit of going old school brake pumping in slick conditions and it worked just fine.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Totally forgot this mention, it comes with a full FSM.