• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Winch shortening party! Saturday 10/1/22

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Daniel (@Inukshuk) and I are throwing a winch shortening party at my house in Green Mountain, Lakewood. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. We are getting started around 10AM.

Why would I want to shorten my winch? Winches are rated where they work the most efficient, on the first wrap. Most winches come with 85-100ft of line, and most pulls are only 20-30ft out. That means most of them time, you are only getting a percentage of the power that your winch really has available.

We have all the parts that you would need to cut and compress-knot your line, but you will want to get some thimbles to make your extra line into a winch line extension. I bought these, and they seem to do the trick.

Link

Again, all are welcome and let me know if you plan to join so I can plan appropriately and give you the address.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Dang it, I'll be hanging with the 40s all day that day

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'll try to post each day encouraging folks to attend. Spoke to @baileyfj40 Mike Koons about it today

We'll set up as many synthetic winch lines as we can - length you want, constrictor knot attachment to drum, and make you an extension out of the cutoff part.

See this video for how I4WDTA Certified Trainer Chad Achtemichuk makes it as easy as saying his last name.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey just to clarify for the dimly witted, the hunk you cut off becomes some kind of extension, right? So if you really are 150' from the tree you can still winch to it.. but you're hooking up an extension in the middle? And then that extension becomes part of your recovery kit, I presume.. does it get fancy ends?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey just to clarify for the dimly witted, the hunk you cut off becomes some kind of extension, right? So if you really are 150' from the tree you can still winch to it.. but you're hooking up an extension in the middle? And then that extension becomes part of your recovery kit, I presume.. does it get fancy ends?

Spot on. And the fancy ends would come with the thimbles that you bring with you (see my first post).

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Spot on. And the fancy ends would come with the thimbles that you bring with you (see my first post).
Or soft loop ends, no thimbles. I have an e-mail into plasti-dip inquiring whether the dip is reactive to UHMWPE. Coated eyes are a great option too.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Or soft loop ends, no thimbles. I have an e-mail into plasti-dip inquiring whether the dip is reactive to UHMWPE. Coated eyes are a great option too.
Plasti-dip?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I was asking more about where the talk of Pasti-Dip came from. I don't see anyone discussing it.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested in what they say.

Plasti-Dip is resin suspended in several solvents (naphtha, toluene, hexane, MEK) that also dissolve polyethylene, so I'd have assumed this to be no-no.

You might have to approach it the other way, too. Asking Dyneema or the rope spinner specifically about chemical compatibility, perhaps providing them MSDS for the exact Plasti-Dip product you intend to use.

It may not depend on the raw fibers but if the spun fibers are processed with an additional coating for chemical resistance by Sampson, New England, Cortland, Atlantic or whomever is making the actual rope you're using.
They have said: "You are going to have to test this application. Do you have some extra laying around that you can test it on before you use it on your project?" LOL

Conclusion: I'm not doing it at this time

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
For making eyes, the Brummel Lock technique eliminates the need to lock stitch while retaining 90-100% of rope strength.
The McDonald-Brummel is a method to make the Brummel when only one end of the rope is free. It works quite well.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Weather forecast is not looking dry for Saturday. I'll keep watching it and we can see if that changes.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
There is a nice thread here on the Forum where @simps80 does a splicing write-up and good comments follow.

The "double pass through" is known as a Brummel Lock. That is NOT what the F55 video shows. I don't know what that one is in the F55 video.

You can do a "Brummel Lock" when both end of the rope are available to pass through. When only one end is available, say its already attached to the winch drum or the other end has a metal thimble you cannot pass through, there is a technique called the "McDonald Brummel Lock." You cannot McDonnell Brummel onto a tube thimble or captive hook.

The end result of a Brummel Lock and a McDonald Brummel Lock are the same. The difference is the technique to make it.

A deep bury splice is fast and easy, except for the lock stitching. A deep bury retains the most rope strength (vs spliced strength). However, there is experience of some lock stitching breaking and still creeping some. The Brummel Lock / McDonald Brummel Lock has no such issues. I am seeing the Brummel Lock being used by reputable manufactures.

https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/which-method-for-dyneema-amsteel-blue-splice.28707

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Last edited:

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
It's looking like the weather on Saturday might not start until later in the day. We should be good to go on Saturday morning. Maybe start around 10AM?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We may have a surprise guest I4WDTA Certified Trainer attend.
Fall all of you who asked, while its not @jps8460 (or is it?) maybe he'd show? LOL

BTW, our splicing work is only with 12 strand dyneema (and other UHMWPE). Different types require different technique.

Why splicing?
Great to understand splices to examine gear - both what you have purchased and what someone else hands you to use
Be able to fix rope
Build your own winch rope and extensions to the length you like
Cost savings
Fun and a skill

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Since I am in the hood, I would not mind stopping by for a short bit to check out the process. A winch has been setting in my storage unit for 2 years waiting for me to get a bumper. Might as well shorten the line while wait to design a bumper or come up with the funds to buy one.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Since I am in the hood, I would not mind stopping by for a short bit to check out the process. A winch has been setting in my storage unit for 2 years waiting for me to get a bumper. Might as well shorten the line while wait to design a bumper or come up with the funds to buy one.
I'll shoot you a message with my address. We are getting started around 10AM.