who's built a 22re?

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
small background...

I have a 22r in my pickup, I need EFI, someone put an old style head onto it, so I need a new head. I guess what I'm wondering from those who've built them(or had it built) was it really that much of a difference with a cam? how about paying extra for porting and polishing? I'm curious, because the bottom end is fine. I figure do the timing chain and water pump while I'm in there, but I'm really looking for cheap and reliable. Its trailered everywhere, and bear in mind up until now, a little carb 22r has been the ticket.

Any thing I really should or shouldn't do?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
www.engnbldr.com. All you need to know, and on a great budget. Porting and polishing can yield impressive results or ruin a motor, it all depends. Ted sells a new casting motor with slightly opened passages, large stainless valves (but not too large), and a hotter cam (but not too hot) which has been known to yield ~135HP at sea level at the crank or a tad better.
MUCH cheaper than DOA or LC Engineering! Good quality, Ted don't sell junk.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I'm thinking thats the way I am going to go. I don't really need a hot cam or bigger valves, so I figured the stock one will be fine.

I can't find a used head to get machined, and I called a couple of shops around town and the price is a little more through them.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I don't like LCE's prices when compared to other vendors. Too rich for my blood. YMMV.

The head/cam combo from Ted works extremely well FWIW. 135 HP is conservative, some get 5-10HP more than that. You can get stock castings from him too.

Phone diagnosis is only as good as the info; luck of the draw sounds like to me. I would think it unwarranted to conclude that Ted doesn't know EFI on the basis of that. The man is a superior tuner and ex-racer and has forgotten more about 22REs than most people know.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
[hijack] Wow, how cool.. so important it is, to realize that if you do any type of customer contact in your business, to that customer you are the business. I have been taught this lesson, and have taught this lesson, again and again and it's always true. Thanks Dave for the much needed refresher! Yes, I'm a total nerd... ok back to my sales job
[/hijack]

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I talked to Ted, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the stock head, its an all new casting with all new valves and such, and then get a slightly larger cam in it. I figure the only other thing I will do is add a header while I'm at it.

Thankfully I'm pretty used to slow speed wheeling, so I don't need much HP. It climbs whatever I point it at, now I will be able to keep it running long enough to make it in one or two tries :)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Talk to Ted about headers with cams. IIRC, he grinds a different cam for headers. The stock Toy manifold is darn efficient as it is, and the header actually reduces power IF the overlap of the cam is more than stock... thereby wasting mixture and throwing off the EFI to boot.

IIRC Ted has a cam optimized for use with a header if that floats your boat. Or you can save bucks and go stock manifold!

He is well shy of deity :confused: and I don't visit Yotatech but he is extremely experienced and accessible, and will stay with you until your problem is resolved. Seen it time and again. Heard good and not so good things about LCE, YMMV and apparently it does.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
He probably thought your setup would work fine with the cam he normally grinds. Thus, nothing to mention.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
IIRC Ted has a cam optimized for use with a header if that floats your boat. Or you can save bucks and go stock manifold!

the more I think about it the better this sounds, I'd like to keep it cheap. I don't need no horsepower! I need it to run standing straight up!