• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

White Rim Trail in Canyonlands input

zombie2hundo

Lifted
Has anyone done this trail? Looks amazing but want some input before planning a trip. Thanks in advance

4runmor

Brand New
I've done this a few times. It is epic and well worth it. Permits can be a challenge, especially for the best campsites (white crack). The offroading isn't too difficult. There are a couple shelf roads and one section with a couple ledges that will test some ground clearance, but nothing that is more difficult than what a stock wrangler (non-rubicon) was able to do. I've done it both directions, not sure which I prefer. I suggest 2 nights and make stops to hike/check out scenery.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I've done it twice, once each way. Road conditions can change due to storms but even after the major flooding last August and multiple warnings from the NPS it was easy for a built truck. Pretty much any stock 4x4 can do it. They just don't want people getting stuck out there. Bring plenty of water and means of creating shade. Last Labor day it was 110* on our trip. I like 3 nights out personally. I brought extra fuel but didn’t need it, close though.

Spur down Lathrop Canyon has probably the hardest wheeling but still not hard.

IMG_6036.jpeg

Last edited:

zombie2hundo

Lifted
Camping, but looks like it might be a trip for next year based upon availability of permits

Daytonadogie

Lifted
Permits opened up for the fall season on May 10 for this year. We had at least a half dozen people trying to get camp spots for our bike trip, waiting to pounce the moment the sites opened up. We got lucky, but the prime spots at the best times of the year fill up within minutes. Spring reservations for 2024 will open up some time in December.

The views are breathtaking, road is moderate. We use my stock 1’st gen Tundra for a sag wagon with no problems. Good luck!

Bruce

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Camping is fun and makes it leisurely but you can also do the trail in one long day

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Do it, you will not regret it. Easily top five trips for me, ever. The shelf road was a little hairy for me (but I don't like heights so that's juat me). Definitely take your time because there are so many cool things to stop and see along the way. We did it in November and the weather was perfect. I believe we camped at Murphy Hogback, which was comfortable and had gorgeous views for sunset and sunrise, but my least favorite part was our rowdy neighbors. I felt like we spent most of the trip out there by ourselves (passing a few people on the road, of course), but then had to listen to other people at night. I'd try for one of the individual camp sites if I was going to do it again.

baileyfj40

Rising Sun Member
Like to do this trip also.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Be aware that dogs aren't allowed. That's what's kept me from going.

Trail Bum

Rising Sun Member
This trip has been one I've wanted to do too. Just need to commit and get the permits for it.

Daytonadogie

Lifted
Yep, Murphy’s, campsite #1. Best by far, also the hardest to reserve. We settled for campsites #2 & 3 for two consecutive nights the end of October, really stoked that we got the sites this year!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’d say white crack is the hardest to get as there is only one site down there. Murphy’s is great. both of them can offer some retreat from the heat being up higher with some air movement. Last year at Airport Tower campground I don’t think the overnight low dropped below 90° for us.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've been lucky enough to stay at White Crack a couple of times and it's good. It's amazing for stargazing. I prefer Murphy to be honest but White Crack certainly is vast. Bring a 'scope or binoculars.

This was early March of 2020, which was a relatively dry year. Mud and snow weren't so bad and I was able to get in from the Shafer side without issues.

IMG_0328_reduced.jpg

Jeff, Ann and I got it August of 2019. This was brutal during the day but tolerable at night.

IMG_2389_reduced.jpeg

BTW, if you do WRT in the summer the pick spot is undoubtedly Hardscrabble. Not so much that the camp itself, it's exposed and amongst the tamarisk. But it is right on the Green River and you can spend the whole afternoon soaking in it.

IMG_2305_mid.png

But I think Taylor is a better camp for isolation. It's further off WRT so there's a bit less day traffic. The people coming in are due to it being a trail head. This was early November and the weather was perfect.

Taylor's also close to the end so it's not an obvious choice in an overnight itinerary, which works in favor sometimes. I had it two nights and saw one other hiker in Tundra and a couple in an Volvo 303 the whole time.

IMG_0783_reduced.jpg

IMG_0724_mid_with_arrow.jpg

IMG_0735_mid.jpg

Last edited: