Wheeler Lake tomorrow (Monday)

Hants

Rising Sun Member
We're up in Breck for the week with family.

Going to head up to Wheeler Lake tomorrow. We'll be leaving Breck between 0900 and 1000.

If anyone is interested, we'd love to have company. Post up here, or give me a call on my cell phone - seven six zero 807-2080.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
We made it most of the way up to the lake. Offcamber snow >4' thick stopped us at the final grade.

I considered winching across, but when I walked it, there was a 20' wall of snow up around the corner. Yes, 20'!

While the kids (all 6 of them!) were playing on the snow, 3 ATV's (from Georgia) came up the trail. Got to the snow and couldn't make progress, so they just tore off through the forest and up the hill. What do you do with that?!? Anyone have luck gently pointing out the rules and that they're tearing up the forest? Even they couldn't make it past/around the next snowbank!

Not much traffic on the trail. Saw one other truck all day (other than the ATV's). Plenty of hikers toward the bottom.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Shoot 'em.

just kidding. I'm amazed/appalled, but not really surprised after seeing the total disregard for the road closure on Argentine. I guess I didn't realize they'd be so blatant, on front of someone else who could report them to the authorities, to go rip roaring through the forest. I don't know how we combat that kind of ignorance/hard-headedness. :(

I guess you could get the license plate number of their truck back at the trailhead.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Pics... It's been quite a few years since i've been up to wheeler lake.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I'll get pics up, but it will be a week or so. Nephew was snapping away, but his camera requires a proprietary cable (that he left in San Diego). :(

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Pics... It's been quite a few years since i've been up to wheeler lake.

One of my favorite's been one of the first vehicle's in the past few years. Hants is the drift at the lake or the hill before the lake ?

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Yes, right at the hill. Never been there before, so I don't know how high the "hill" is. The snow at the bottom will probably be passable in another couple of weeks. The one on the hill still has a lot of mass.