Wheeler Lake July 18th

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
A few of us are going to do Wheeler Lake on July 18th. Plan on meeting at the Mill at ( to 9:15 and heading for the trail at 9:30 after airing down. I have never done it before, Chris Herring has to a point. So if you have run it and want to come along, that would be great

With Covid and being likely a busy day, would like to keep this to 8 trucks

HAM 147.540 If we don't all have HAMs, will likely do CB channel 4 in addition to the HAM.

1 Herring
2 Romer
4 John Morgan
5 FJCDan
6 Justin4045

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
anyone have a good GPS Track. Trail looks simple and likely not needed, but always good to have

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
I am in for this one, been on this trail twice. First time was back in the late 80’s there was 3 of us in Solid axle hilux pickups with 31 and 33 inch mudders and got denied at tree line and didn’t make it to the lake. Bowling ball hill was a foot deep in water for a half mile and you couldn’t see the rocks but you could feel them under the truck. The second time was Memorial Day weekend in the FJCruiser and got stopped by snow on Bowling ball hill. Can’t get lost up there only trail there. Been wanting to go back and finish this trail.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
This one has been on my list for about 8 years. Every time someone plans a trip I have a trip planned at the same time. Have fun Everyone.

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
A few of us are going to do Wheeler Lake on July 18th. Plan on meeting at the Mill at ( to 9:15 and heading for the trail at 9:30 after airing down. I have never done it before, Chris Herring has to a point. So if you have run it and want to come along, that would be great

With Covid and being likely a busy day, would like to keep this to 8 trucks

HAM 147.540 If we don't all have HAMs, will likely do CB channel 4 in addition to the HAM.

1 Herring
2 Romer
3 Daughterofromer
4 John Morgan
5 FJCDan
6 Justin4045

Hey Ken, Here is a track from last year that I have. I personally wouldn't run it without skids because of the boulder fields. Have fun guys!

Phillip

Attachments

• wheeler-lake-trail-head-to-wheeler-lake.gpx
    58.2 KB · Views: 160

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Fun trail. The only time I ever lost a bead was coming down the rocky section in the water. It turns out 10psi in a hot tire becomes 0psi pretty quick in that cold water.

Mark

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Hey Ken, Here is a track from last year that I have. I personally wouldn't run it without skids because of the boulder fields. Have fun guys!

Phillip
It’s like driving blind, you feel it before you see it.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
meh. I ran it the first time w/ no sliders or armor all the way to the lake and back. If you're lifted you'll be fine.

mccoyver

Brand New
Just bought a LX450 last month and just got back from doing this trail last week:( Wish I would have joined earlier and postponed the trip to sync up with everyone as I am a recently converted Toyota guy;) I ran the trail to the top with a mostly stock vehicle. Open diffs etc with a 3 inch lift and 35's with my 5 kids and wife in the car:) We had a great time! We obviously took some easier bypasses then going straight up the wedge etc. but the look on the other hikers faces and jeepers up there as we passed them by was priceless:) You can use AllTrails to get the skinny on the GPS waypoints etc with your phone if you have a pro account. Great time, beautiful scenery...all the snow is melted but fun trail with plenty of water, rocks and fun obstacles.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
I almost had to bail for tomorrow as well, swapped out one of the front tires and noticed my CV axle had a torn boot. Swapped it out and still on for tomorrow. Now I have 4 axles that need rebooted. See you in the mourning.