Wheel Stud replacment

FJBen

Just put some new wheels/tires on my 40....bling :D

Met up with Uncle Ben, Isotel and andy (thanks for the tires and putting up with my mistake! :eek: )

Got the 37's on and mounted, but the studs aren't as long as I'd like. I found a part number for some longer studs so I think I'm set there.

The question is, I've heard that you can get those studs off/on without having to pull the axles...is this true?

and the obligatory poser shot....

Attachments

68.5 KB · Views: 178

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Purty 40. And that's coming from a minitruck guy. Very cool.

FJBen

Purty 40. And that's coming from a minitruck guy. Very cool.

thanks! she's looking better, but the pics make her look pretty nice :lmao:

nuther question...

Longfields...I'm not going to have the cash to go full on 30splines...whats going to break first...inners or birfs? I have minitruck knuckles/setup and was thinking about stepping up to 27 spline birfs for the time, then later upgrading the cage/inners to 30 spline.

thoughts? Or just save and go 30 spline which IS the right way.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If you upgrade to Longs first on stock axles the next week link of course will be your axle. If you upgrade the inner and run stock Birfs you have gained nothing and when your Birf blows it will strip the splines on your new axle. To save money your cheapest upgrade it FJ-60/straight axle mini truck birfs. They are a tad thicker and have been heat treated. Easy upgrade but will require grinding the bearing ears on your front housing ends to fit the thicker bell. They will also be too short to use the snap ring in the hub. Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!

thanks! she's looking better, but the pics make her look pretty nice :lmao:

nuther question...

Longfields...I'm not going to have the cash to go full on 30splines...whats going to break first...inners or birfs? I have minitruck knuckles/setup and was thinking about stepping up to 27 spline birfs for the time, then later upgrading the cage/inners to 30 spline.

thoughts? Or just save and go 30 spline which IS the right way.

FJBen

If you upgrade to Longs first on stock axles the next week link of course will be your axle. If you upgrade the inner and run stock Birfs you have gained nothing and when your Birf blows it will strip the splines on your new axle. To save money your cheapest upgrade it FJ-60/straight axle mini truck birfs. They are a tad thicker and have been heat treated. Easy upgrade but will require grinding the bearing ears on your front housing ends to fit the thicker bell. They will also be too short to use the snap ring in the hub. Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!

I actually am running Axles from a straight axle mini....hmmm....do you think thats a worthwhile approach? Currently I'm unlocked up front but eventually will be going ARB up there. :thumb: I know they are 4340's but have to be stronger than stock.

:beer: :beer: :beer: Very good info!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Those tires look great on your cruiser, and to think I could have bought those.......;-0

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Stronger yet and next upgrade higher would be to take your inners axles and your new 60/mini birfs somewhere and have them Cryogenicly treated. Thats what Bobby Long began his stardom in the Cruiser axle biz with!
That, and with a welded ring on the inside. That's what I'm running (successfully to date, knock on wood).
I had no idea mini axles would fit in a 40- there must be differences in years, I offered my short side to Treeroot in Moab, but it was all wrong...:confused:

If the mini birf is stouter than the 40 birf, no wonder 40 birfs bust! :eek: