What's my paint code?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I went to the giant NAPA that's just east of 70th & Washington... gal at the desk was one objection after another. that code is too old, those other numbers aren't in our system, finally she found a formula in their "premium" line, with a second stage clear coat... cost for just the paint was quoted around $1600, and that's before I buy all the reducer hardener, and clear. yeah no thanks.

And then guess who works there now- it's Chip! Same guy who worked at Sherwin Williams and matched this color perfectly 7 years ago. Same guy who later switched to the commercial division and was my rep for painting mannequins.. same guy. So after a few minutes of catch-up, the gal atthe desk warms up a little, and Chip agreed to have another go at matching the paint. I handed him the same can he sold me 7 years ago, with his formula, as well as my bottle jack bracket he can use to compare. So fingers crossed he can nail this again. But now all I can do is wait, and sand...

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So I get a call on Friday from Chip at Napa... hey I got your quart mixed, come and get it. Stunned, I drop everything and race down there... he said that he found a couple partial cans of the discontinued pigment back in storage somewhere, so was able to replicate the old formula exactly. Just wow... and just when I was losing hope on this color match. I got more paint!!

IMG_7558.jpg

there's the formula on the new can above. I didn't do the math but I'm guessing the ratios are the same from the can I bought 7 years ago:
653_Olive_green.jpg

Only difference is I only bought a quart this time. @Rzeppa I don't know how much longer they'll have those pigments down there Jeff, also I would have thought Chip would have retired by now, but he seems to be having a good time down there at Napa from what I could tell... I'd suggest you get there sooner rather than later though, this stuff stores for a while and after this it may be tougher to get a good match on this stuff. I've got about half of my quart left over for future touch-ups... I'm tempted to go buy another quart and paint the trailer, but I'm kinda burnt out on body work right now... I put about 25 hours in this weekend.

The depth of knowledge in this club is truly amazing! Reading through with the post from Mike and others on the details of where to find something such as a paint code or the actual scan of Toyota codes from 1981 is pretty cool to see! And not to mention, all the work bring these machines back to life from Tim and others!!