Whats going on with the engine?

acon40

Banned
Ok, so since I got it the truck seems to be getting slower and slower and hills (slight hills) I am luck if I get to 40 within a minute. Anyway, two days ago i started to sputter a little when you give it gas and that has gone away for the most part. But today on my way to work the oil light popped up, but the pressure and all was fine. I didn't have time to look into it, but it was going to Charlies Garage this Thursday, but I might just drop it off tonight. Anyway, any thoughts.....I know it's a vauge question but worth a try..,..:confused:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The low oil light is actually pretty common in the 80's.. the sensor is just really picky. Mine will come on if I'm 1/4 quart below the "full" line on the dipstick.. and only at idle, if I rev the RPMs it will shut off immediately. So if it's your low oil light, don't panic.

As for the other stuff, really hard to say. Start with inspecting plugs, wires, maybe loose vacuum lines, etc. Does your check engine light work? Are you getting any codes? He'll be able to pull your codes at Charlies..

acon40

Banned
Turns out it needs a tune up....the spark plugs and the such are still original and 192k old.....that could do it hahaha....I have them doing that just cause...

It also needs a the front right wheel bearing replaced I think he said. All said and ddone $800? I need to look into this but plan to do it myself...

Otherwise it is looking pretty good.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
IMO you might as well just do a complete front axle service and be done with it for awhile if you aren't positive when it was last done. That way you know when the last time everything was replaced up front. Especially if you are going to do this work yourself since you'll be in there...

Might as well decide now how your front rotors are and replace them if needed. Wishing now I had planned ahead and done that on my '97 while Ben and I had it all apart.