• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What would be your ideal basher?

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Probably imogene? Black Bear Pass? Not sure though. Honestly the roughest thing I've done so far is probably Kingston pass but I'd like to do a lot more.

What you have will do these trails just fine.

MATPHAT

Lifted
I wouldn’t suggest a dedicated beater for BBP or Imogne, and if you were to roll on those trails, it's likely to be game over in any vehicle. A bone stock ZJ (1993-1998 Grand Cherokee) on street tires followed us in a bone stock 200 down Black Bear Pass with zero issues, and we did Imogene with no drama as well the following day. IMO your money/time is better spent on prepping your existing vehicle and spending time in the field sharpening skills and getting training from pros in the club and Bill Burke. Your 4th gen with some good ATs and sliders can do the vast majority of off road trails in Colorado with good tire placement, so I wouldn't waste the time and money on a trail beater unless you plan to run very challenging trails like the Rubicon.
I missed the Burke session this last month. Does anyone know when there will be another?

L43dean

Rising Sun Member
Hone your driving skills. Do not be terrified. And for bashing, just use a brick.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I missed the Burke session this last month. Does anyone know when there will be another?
You can book Bill any time for a class, if you want. I'd guess the next time a sponsored one will happen in spring 2022 ahead of Cruise Moab.

For the record, just run what you brung. If you're afraid of using your 4x4, then you bought the wrong one. It's just a tool you use to gain the experience.

ChevyKeith

Rising Sun Member
I would like to do this before Cruise Moab if it happens. I have been a trail guide quite a few times on Moab trails in the jeep. But never in the Cruiser. March or early April would be great for me the more notice the better to block my schedule.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
88 Toyota pickup with solid axle swap. Rears up front chevy 63s out back. Welded diffs. Doors removed. Bobbed bed and frame.

DiParagon

New-ish
Brand new here but from the stand point of a 50 yo newb in this hobby i chose to go 2nd gen 4runner for my daily/weekend warrior. I chose it because Toyota obviously, but i also wanted the tailgate and could still sleep inside if i had to. I am too olld to be messing around with rooftop sleeping and so is my wife but i wanted capable enough to start seeing what this great state has to offer away from the fuss of the city.

I figure its a solid base you want to look for since cosmetics can be fixed later when/if you do any damage.

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
For BBP and Imogene you just need solid reliable brakes. So, maybe not a 100...