• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What would be your ideal basher?

MATPHAT

Lifted
My 2008 4runner is my daily driver and has seen some light wheeling but I'm terrified of totaling it since it's in great condition, low mileage, and paid off. I've started to fantasize about a dedicated wheeler that I can bash up and not get too worked up over it. I used to think that a 99 or 00 4runner would be that vehicle, but obviously those things are worth their weight in gold now, so no go there either.

If you had it to do all over again, what would you pick up for your dedicated wheeling rig that if it rolled you wouldn't lose your mind?

My friend keep pushing the XJ on me, but I don't think so.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Not sure but the XJ's have gone up a lot in value also. It seems like any older truck has...

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I would probably hack up a T100, bob the rear, toss a solid axle on the front, gear it down and build a custom short bed on it.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
What's the hardest trail you think you would realistically run, and what is the likelihood of a rollover on that trail? Keep in mind any beater rig will likely require a lot of time, effort, and money to make it reliable enough to get to the trail, do the hard trails, and make it home safely. More often than not, the best rig is the one you already own, so I'd add sliders/skids to your 4th gen and go have fun.

BlueSteel

Lifted
For cheap and reliable.... 3rd gen 4Runner with a rear locker and 33” tires. Bet can make a monster for $5k. I sold my last one setup like that for $4k

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Whatever I'm driving at the time is the beater rig ;).

Once you get into a hardcore build you may have more $$$ in the axles and tires than the original purchase price so I'd say start with what you want to wheel, just don't look for the best example if you're going to cut it and flog it.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Whatever I'm driving at the time is the beater rig ;).

Once you get into a hardcore build you may have more $$$ in the axles and tires than the original purchase price so I'd say start with what you want to wheel, just don't look for the best example if you're going to cut it and flog it.
^^THIS! ALL OF THIS^^

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
A Bomber chassis kit or similar would be my ideal dedicated wheeler.

But in reality my wallet would better afford a stripped down 80 series caged and clearanced with a sawszal for 40's on the factory suspension. Add some diff and T-case gears. Go wheel it hard, throw away any body panels that fall off.

MATPHAT

Lifted
What's the hardest trail you think you would realistically run, and what is the likelihood of a rollover on that trail? Keep in mind any beater rig will likely require a lot of time, effort, and money to make it reliable enough to get to the trail, do the hard trails, and make it home safely. More often than not, the best rig is the one you already own, so I'd add sliders/skids to your 4th gen and go have fun.
Probably imogene? Black Bear Pass? Not sure though. Honestly the roughest thing I've done so far is probably Kingston pass but I'd like to do a lot more.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Those trails aren't so much hard as they are high consequence.
In that case you'll be fine in a stock 100 Series. BTDT :hill: Find a high mileage beater and ... beat it. Just make sure the brakes are good. :)

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+

Attachments

• 20210427_091923.jpg
    20210427_091923.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 153

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Slightly beat up BJ73. If just a wheeler, I’d put a soft top on it for most the year & not worry about its imperfections too much. But admittedly I’m more of an adventurer than a hard core.

Attachments

• 343F0037-E8EB-40C5-99BB-243120E1ABBF.jpeg
    343F0037-E8EB-40C5-99BB-243120E1ABBF.jpeg
    581 KB · Views: 164

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Probably imogene? Black Bear Pass? Not sure though. Honestly the roughest thing I've done so far is probably Kingston pass but I'd like to do a lot more.

I wouldn’t suggest a dedicated beater for BBP or Imogne, and if you were to roll on those trails, it's likely to be game over in any vehicle. A bone stock ZJ (1993-1998 Grand Cherokee) on street tires followed us in a bone stock 200 down Black Bear Pass with zero issues, and we did Imogene with no drama as well the following day. IMO your money/time is better spent on prepping your existing vehicle and spending time in the field sharpening skills and getting training from pros in the club and Bill Burke. Your 4th gen with some good ATs and sliders can do the vast majority of off road trails in Colorado with good tire placement, so I wouldn't waste the time and money on a trail beater unless you plan to run very challenging trails like the Rubicon.

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The t100 would barely be street legal and I would want a trailer with a tow rig🥴

I might be able to make these dreams come true :)

Also, my 80. I’d do it all over again in my 80

krice118

Trail Ready
if it makes you feel any better, I started with a very nice 70k miles, Early 100 series about 5 years ago. It is now full of pinstripes and modded. Looks a bit rough up close but interior and mechanically sound. Best decision I have ever made - its comfy on road trips. A Beater XJ sounds miserable on the highway, expecially 70.