• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What springs???

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
So, both my front springs are bent for the rock finder shackles. Currently have 2" man-a-fre and 3" anti invershackles. Should I, Throw down and buy HFS 4" springs (military wrap both ends) $820. Buy Downey's 4" springs (no military either end). Get a Shackle Reversal $250 and get man-a-fre 2" springs again $210(no military). I don't really like SR without going SO and don't think I'm ready for that much lift.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
skyjacker is well approved

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
nuclearlemon said:
skyjacker is well approved

Skyjacker does not stand behind their springs! If they sag it's your problem! BDS is very similer (IMHO better) to Skyjacker and they back them up 100%

Magoo

my downey's are stiff,could be shocks,or not broken it yet.dont know.but the price was right.under 500 bucks from ron at rockymountaincruisers.com
shawn

wesintl

RS Moderator
your ready for SO and 35's :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Farnham, you didn't say what tire you are planning on running, or what the rig will be used for. Normally, you first decide what size tire and what the rig will be used for, then that leads to which suspension system will work best for the application. There are a lot of trade-offs involved.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
currently running 33's

I run 33" bfg mtr and am happy with the size. I'm sure I'll eventually go to 35's. I daily drive it 20 miles on I-70 through Dowd Junction. I'm very happy with my current 2" springs and 3" shackles OME shocks. Smooth on the road and real flexy off. The shackles find every rock thats more than 2" tall. I've had this 40 for too long and keep thinking I'll sell it and start building my 100. Problem is I like the 40 too much and can't really see parting ways with it. The 33's are terrible in the snow but are too small offroad. I can only imagine 35's to be worse in the snow. I think it makes sense to replace my 2" springs with some 4" but don;t want to end up with a real stiff ride(why I went for 2" to begin with)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
anybody got stock springs?

Anyone selling stock springs? Maybe SO is an option.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Are your 33's terrible in the snow because they're too wide, or because the treads aren't any good? I suspect someone will tell you soon that if you sipe BFG Mud's they grip better. IMO, on a 40 it's better to go with a narrower tire, since those cute little 40's don't weigh very much the tires go deeper into the snow and grab better. I really like the 33 9.50's, which would give you a similar setup to what Ken Romer has, that's what I'd run if I had a 40.. :)

And afaik you could still run 35's and not be sprung over, Scott Brown did that with some sort of revolver shackles, and a shackle reversal on his yellow 40. Not sure what springs he had but I could ask next time I see him if it's important. Just don't get Pinnacles, right Ige? :D

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Tire are in great shape

tires are in very good condition, maybe 3k on them. 33x10.5 I'm not planning on 9.5. too skinny for me. I'd buy 35's before another set of 33's. I'm waiting to do gears before going up a size. Siping them is a good idea and I will look into that. I struggle with the balance of on/off road performance. Then I remind myself that my 40 is never going to be great on the hwy. This thing is a slow piece of junk, but I love my junk almost as much as I love the sound of metal on rock. I can't wait to go smash it on something. :rolleyes:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Well, if you plan to go to 35s anyway you may as well SOA on stock springs. Softer ride than any 4" I've ever driven/ridden in. I run stock shackles in my front, hit a rock from time to time, but hit rocks on lots of other places too. I am sure that even if I had a S/R with custom hangers tucked nicely up out of the way I'd still hit them now and then, kinda goes with the territory.

I've been really pleased with siped BFG mudders in both deep fresh snow and hard, icy snowpacked roads, have run 31x10.5, 33x10.5 and 35x12.5 on various cruisers. Unlike other people, I don't think they are noticably noisier than A/Ts, which I've also run. They last about as long, and do surprisingly well on-road. Siping makes a huge difference in mudders, on wet pavement, on ice, in snow and on dry pavement too.

I have seen swampers do really well in the snow too, but they wear out really fast on pavement, and are tougher to balance than BFG or Goodyear mudders.

I also used to run Firestone town and country snow tires in 235 size for a lot of years, one of the best snow tires I've ever used. They stopped making them about 5 years ago, and 235 was the largest size they made them in.

Short of tracks like a snow cat, nothing beats chains though.

I've driven nothing but Land Cruisers, primarily 40s, for the last 23 years, so obviously my cruisers must be commuter-capable. I have never been able to afford a dedicated trail rig, trailer, tow rig, etc.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Bds

I like my BDS springs as well. Good place to get them is here:
www.chimneycanyon4x4.com

Talk to Charlie Rupp and tell him you're from Rising Sun.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
I like my BDS springs as well. Good place to get them is here:
www.chimneycanyon4x4.com

Talk to Charlie Rupp and tell him you're from Rising Sun.

Actually, call him Papa Smirf and he'll know you know me! :D Charlie is an awesome person and a great friend!!!!!!