What option is best?

acon40

Banned
So, sorry to say, but the diesel swap in the FJ80 is nore more. I tend to surf this and the VW boards and today I found a 00 VW Golf TDI that I scored for 2k. Needs to have the tranny swapped, so for $2500 I just solved my gas problem so now I don't feel so bad about the 80. Maybe years from now I will do it, but no reason to right now. But don't worry, I still favor the 80 more then anything :bowdown:.

Anyway, I had a line on a charger today, but didn't buy it. Not really in a rush, but what would be a good opition. Leave the motor and deal with the lack of power? Add the supercharger? Or do a motor swap? I am just sick of going up hills and being dogged. I am at 198k so I want to think ahead anyway. My issue is, with a motor swap I can do it no problem, but if I could get a swap that has mounts or the such that would be great. Whatever I do I want to do it myself and what really limits what I can do is not my skill, but lack of tools.

Long story short, now the mpg is not such a worry as I will use the cruiser more for trips and fun.....should I just leave it alone and deal with it?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I'd say leave it alone.. you have no idea what a true cruiser dog really is. :hill: Or if you have good compression slap a turbo on it. I've seen some 3fe turbos on mud. To do an engine swap right you'll have I think you'll have to spend some coin. Or do you have a fzj80?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
If you're considering a diesel swap (even in the future) I would try to find one with a dead 1FZ-FE or a tired 3FE, I wouldn't part with a good 1FZ-FE, it's just too good a motor. Talk to Robbie or Kevin and you'll find ways of sprucing it up without getting too crazy.

wesintl

RS Moderator
hahaha 95 slowass80

lol.. I know 80's aren't sports cars but they certainly arn't slow. They can go the speed limit and beyond. I think you need to venture into other crusiers and find out what slow is... :eek:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
lol.. I know 80's aren't sports cars but they certainly arn't slow. They can go the speed limit and beyond. I think you need to venture into other crusiers and find out what slow is... :eek:

The greatest joy you can have is when you whack the preppy in his Hemi powered Commander! 1FZ's can definitely produce power! The other side of that is of course dead dinosaurs! I just like to feel that I'm doing my part in releasing the trapped lizards from their earthly confines so they can be with their family and friends in the spirit world! Guess that means I am running BYEOLDDINO! :lmao: :hill: :bowdown: :zilla::kevin:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I saw a 100 series with a Duramax swap a couple weeks ago...that thing went off like a rocket ship. :drool:

acon40

Banned
And half of me says to wait a year or so and newer engine will be cheaper and my budget would allow for a better engine. I just don't see the need to do it right away. I think my goal is to be 100% bio on all vehicles......juts taking my time and doing it right I suppose. I would love to hear about the duramax swap....

bomber22

Trail Ready
there is a place in windsor that is doing diesel swaps into fj60's. saw it on craigs list under auto parts/ toyota, don't remember the name.