What kind of straps to use

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Looks like I will be trailering the truck to Moab this year instead of towing it behind. I need to get some straps to strap it down nice and tight, what does everybody use for this. Cost is an object this time as I am way over budget already so I need them inexpensive. Also where to get them.

The next question is how to transport it once it is on the trailer. Do I put it in gear with the E brake on or leave it in neutral and E brake only? I know there are two thoughts on this, just seeing what is best.

Any input will be appreciated as ussual. :cheers:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I use the Keeper straps rated at 12,000 something. I believe they are 2 1/2" wide. Home Depot used to cary them but I was in there yesterday and they replaced them with some low cost knockoffs. I would not skimp when it comes to safety. When on the trailer my junk is in gear with the brake on. I also add a come along to the front of the vehicle as a secondary precaution.

Attachments

• keeper-corp-tie-down-04627.jpg
    keeper-corp-tie-down-04627.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 135

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I have a set of four sitting in my garage if you would like to use them for the week... as I can't go :(

They are the heavy duty kind racheting style ilke the ones above. Nearly new, I used them on my move out to colorado.

I am in Louisville, outside of boulder if you want to come get them.

Also, Sams club has them for about 12bucks a pop right now.

Let me know!

Drew

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
keeper, like mike mentioned. also, ancra or kinedyne. they both manufacture for heavy truck towing. most class 8 truck shops carry them or a local truck stop.

The other thing that is handy is the little axle straps. So you just wrap a foot or so with ends around the axle. Then you aren't tugging and tightening the whole thing.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
wheel chocks are a nice to have too

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Great to hear guys, I have one of those straps alreay and I also have two wheel chocks so I am of to a good start. I will pick up a couple more of those straps and figure out how to strap it down.

Drew, if I can't get them for some reason I may hit you up. Either way I really appreciate the offer.

I guess I will leave my truck in gear with all 4 wheels locked and in low, shouldn't move then.

Last question, for now, should I trailer it with the 37's or should I stick on the 31's for lower center of gravity? Some of those turns in the canyons are pretty sharp.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I feel much better now.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
If the truck is strapped down to the trailer it will be as stable as the trailer! I see no reason for the training wheels to ever be on it again....well except for emissions. On that note (off topic) I got my renewal card for my 80 in the maiol today.....woo hooo!.....passed roadside emissions so I won't have to swap the trainers on it for another two years!

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I cross the front, straight in the rear, hook to the axle. I leave mine in first gear double low, no problems yet with plenty of towing.

I use ratcheting race straps, they hook over the axle to themselves. I can't remember where I got them, they were about 100 bucks for four shipped, and they are a 3 inch strap.

Good luck!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Tom, you might try Murdoch's.
Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply
12154 N. Dumont Way
Littleton, CO 80125
(303) 791-7800

Just take C470 to Santa Fe and head south. It will be on your right at the intersection of Highlands Ranch Pkway (which turns into Dumont).

sleeoffroad

Hard Core 4+
You can buy a nice kit from there guys.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=25

If you buy straps, they will eventually get cut on the stuff at the axle etc and then you throw away a perfectly good strap. I like the axle straps with sleeves. Cheap to replace and also like 8ft straps so you don't have along rat tail to deal with. Strap down on the axle and not the frame.

Check your straps after a couple of miles driven.

Also check the trailer to see if you need the hook style, flat plate hook style or the clip on hook style. It all depends on the tiedowns you have on the trailer.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Tom, you might try Murdoch's.
Murdoch's Ranch & Home Supply
12154 N. Dumont Way
Littleton, CO 80125
(303) 791-7800

Just take C470 to Santa Fe and head south. It will be on your right at the intersection of Highlands Ranch Pkway (which turns into Dumont).

Besides Home Depot, that is my favorite store. There are many items from there on the 4Runner. Thanks for the info, I will check there too.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for all the info guys, Cristo i will see if I can get the set you suggested on time. I like the extra straps, I use them on my motorcycles, they save the chrome/paint and like you said they save a perfectly good strap.

Thanks again guys, got to look at the trailer to see what style I need to get. Of course the trailer is at a friends house who is out of town till Friday night ggggrrrrr. Always behind the eight ball.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Tom- If you get in a pinch let me know, I will be in Denver Friday if it is closer to where you work.

Drew

Sounds good I'll let you know. I had to go back to work.