• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What HAM antenna? Thinking front bumper this time.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I need to rework my HAM antenna. 2m/70cm. Thinking something on the front ARB. I've done the folding mount on the rear hatch and most recently the Nakman hood seam mount. I loved the hood mount location but kept breaking antennas or bending the mount on tree branches. Also never could keep a coax healthy long trying to pass it through the hood seam.

So thinking moving to the front bumper. Folding or easy removable option would cure my tree problems.

Something like this maybe? https://hamcity.com/ham-equipment/a...ounts/luggage-rack-w-cable/so-239/k550km.html

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Punch the NMO hole in the roof.

You know you want to do it.

You know you should do it.

So do it.

Then run the Flexi-Whip. You won't break it. They're the real deal. Kind of expensive for a length of Nitinol rod and a base but there's nothing else that compares directly.

Problem here is they're just a 1/4λ whip and need a good ground plane. Bumpers and lips are not good options.

What they are designed to do is last when mounted on stuff like the roofs of wildland fire trucks. You do the math.

ARS-ROOF-FT-NITI-2T.jpg

But just as an aside, you know, just in the event your ARB has antenna tabs I found that the Opek AM-207C NMO base fits the hole perfectly without any mods or drilling it out. It's also completely contained so no open underside exposed to the weather.

two-way-radio-accessories-am-207c-b.jpg

Not that I would advocate using your bumper for a VHF/UHF antenna or anything.

So just sayin' is all.

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Punch the NMO hole in the roof.

You know you want to do it.

You know you should do it.

So do it.

Then run the Flexi-Whip. You won't break it. They're the real deal. Kind of expensive for a length of Nitinol rod and a base but there's nothing else that compares directly.

Problem here is they're just a 1/4λ whip and need a good ground plane. Bumpers and lips are not good options.

What they are designed to do is last when mounted on stuff like the roofs of wildland fire trucks. You do the math.

View attachment 97354

But just as an aside, you just in the event your ARB has antenna tabs I found that the Opek AM-207C NMO base fits the hole perfectly without any mods or drilling it out. It's also completely contained so no open underside exposed to the weather.

View attachment 97353

Not that I would advocate using your bumper for a VHF/UHF antenna or anything.

So just sayin' is all.
This, all the this. I copied @rover67 setup and when the antenna is removed, you can't see the base from the ground. It's about the best setup I have seen for not worrying about breaking an antenna and having it in a spot that is pretty incognito.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Check out these guys!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I should perhaps mention that I used to have a Comet antenna on my ARB and broke it. Even on the bumper anything sticking up is potentially capable of being sheared off and that's exactly what happened. Brush broke the lower section below the hinge just above the bumper.

That moment is when I figured out two things.

One, mobile antennas shouldn't be tall, rigid or expected to last indefinitely (they all can eventually break).

And second why they use limb risers in dense vegetation.

rollinspass_8.jpg

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
It’s big but the alamosaantenna looks interesting. Different approach, for sure.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Can't ditch the RTT and it's big. Covers everything from the sunroof to the rear end. Pretty much need to mount to the front or rear bumper. Then where ever I don't use I'll move the CB antenna to the other end.
I was being factious. ;-). We all have to make compromises. I envy wagons in some ways but the bed + WilderNest works better for me. OTOH I'd sometimes like to run a roof rack on my cab or, God forbid, a new camper with a forward overhang. That would be a real gut check - giving up on the 'Nest and ditching antennas on the roof.

Those Alamosa antennas look interesting. I get grief when I run a slender stainless whip on the bumper about looking at it all day. Can't imagine looking at a baseball ball vertical from your bumper all the time! They'd make your 80 look Outback Ready® at the mall fer sure.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
@DaveInDenver is in rare form today, and as a result, I am finding this thread thoroughly entertaining (in stark contrast to most radio-related threads). ;)

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Check out these guys!
was thinking about those. But I'd have to run multiples for 2m/70cm. Which I should have posted originally and have since edited as I have a dual band radio.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Can't ditch the RTT and it's big. Covers everything from the sunroof to the rear end. Pretty much need to mount to the front or rear bumper. Then where ever I don't use I'll move the mobile GMRS antenna to the other end.
FIFY

GMRS is the wave of the future!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I had a CB antenna on my ARB when I had the 80 and I hated it. It was all I could see when it was flipped up... not sure how you are breaking antennas with the fender mount Corbet, maybe you're mounted too close to the bumper? Use a bolt further up... then get the CK-3M antenna with the skinny leader to run through the hood crack. You can shove the tiny side of the coax through the firewall grommet.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I had a CB antenna on my ARB when I had the 80 and I hated it. It was all I could see when it was flipped up... not sure how you are breaking antennas with the fender mount Corbet, maybe you're mounted too close to the bumper? Use a bolt further up... then get the CK-3M antenna with the skinny leader to run through the hood crack. You can shove the tiny side of the coax through the firewall grommet.

I'm at the most rearward mounting position. The coax issue is probably the biggest problem. Have the skinny type. Still rubs through it. My hood to fender gap is pretty tight. CB even worse on other side as coax is normal size. Then there is the fact that I don't hesitate to push through vegetation.

I ran an antenna on the passenger front corner of my ARB originally for my CB and did not mind it. Was just a magnetic mount. But it also acted like a marker post for where that corner of the truck was. Now if i move it inboard then yes I'm also wondering if it will annoy me while driving. Especially those outback ready models. Wonder if they offer a quick release so you can club a kangaroo with them in a pinch.

Blindranger

Hard Core 4+
I've been using a Comet RS-840 mount on my wife's Sequoia for years, and we never lost an antenna while wheeling in the woods of the NW. I have a CB mounted to my ARB bull bar, and I cannot stand looking at it, so I never have it attached.

IMG_3405.jpeg