• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

what Battery Charger do you like these days?

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
My 10 year old CTek just died. What are you guys liking these days for AGM friendly battery chargers? and...how much does it matter that I have dual batteries? should I look for something with more uuumph? I use them 24/7 for long periods (weeks-months) just to keep my batteries happy when I'm not driving the 60 or 40.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I'd look at the NOCO G15000. I have the NOCO Genius G3500 myself, which is an older model, and it works great.

I really like NOCO products. I also have the GB70 2,000 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter, which is just a fantastic product. I jump started several Land Cruisers on the South Dakota Outlaws run where the battery had gotten drained from too much loud music playing while camping remotely. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

60wag

Rising Sun Member
I've got an Optimate that has been very reliable.

FZJ Dave

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I picked up a NOCO Genius 5 last month, and have been super happy with its performance thus far. Charges AGM, flooded lead acid, and lithium batteries. Pretty cost-effective as well, IMO.

I'm with @Hulk - I've been very impressed with NOCO's stuff. I've also got a NOCO Boost jump starter pack (can't remember the model number, but it's a few years old now) that has saved my ass more times than I'm willing to admit - it'll never leave my truck. I need to buy a couple more for my 200 and my wife's car.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have the 4A battery minder for AGM and it works great for me. All appropriate automatic curves with desulfation.
I've used battery minders with desulfation for ages and have saved some junk batteries also street bike batteries last 4-5 years wintering on them for me.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Oh, also wondering what CTEK did you have, e.g. temperature compensated or not?
the Ctek 7002 and over the years I've had a couple Optimas (yellow/red) and the X2 deep cycle battery.

Can I connect a charger on each battery in a dual battery setup?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I have the noco genius that has the 12 and 24v and agm or lead acid. works well.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
the Ctek 7002 and over the years I've had a couple Optimas (yellow/red) and the X2 deep cycle battery.

Can I connect a charger on each battery in a dual battery setup?
Does your dual battery system have an isolator? You could run two chargers if they aren't connected electrically. If they are wired together you have to treat them as a single bank. So if you have two 100 A-hr batteries wired in parallel then you need a charger sized appropriately for 200 A-hr.

The Nocos the guys have are fine AFAIK, people seem happy with them. Battery Tender and Schauer are also respected brands. As another data point recommendation I have a BatteryMinder 128CEC1 that is pretty similar to that CTEK you had, with the desulfation pulsing. It is also temperature compensated, which is nice to have since it'll adjust so it's never over or under charging as the weather varies. It's also pretty similar in price and I've been happy with it since it has a Odyssey-specific profile.

The monster, heavy duty charger I run is an Iota DLS-45 (being 45 amps) with two plug-in controllers, the standard IQ4 profile for flooded and regular AGM and the IQ4-AGM profile for my Odysseys (I spent a lot for them and they're more fickle about holding a high voltage for absorption, so I'm kind of OCD).

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
"so I'm kind of OCD"

What Dave? OCD? Really?! Haha! J/K you are just particular (and right)!