• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

What are the odds

nsfw

Rock Stacker
that the magic smoke comes out of my CB if I don’t tune the antenna?

I have an old Cobra CB that was in the bed of a truck I bought years ago and I picked up a Cobra mag mount antenna. Everything seems to be working but I don’t have an antenna tuner or anyone close with a CB to even let me know if it’s transmitting.

Appreciate any guidance from the radio fellas.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It will probably work fine. With tuning, you probably could get better performance, but it's likely that it will work acceptably now.

nsfw

Rock Stacker
Just what I wanted to hear. Only using it for Cruise Moab so acceptable is great.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There's a limit to how bad you can get away with. Stage 1 is a little bit off, you leave a little bit of performance on the table. Stage 2 is pretty far off but still in the ball park, the radio will reduce power to protect itself. Stage 3 is really bad, shorted or no antenna at all, that can ruin it.

The good thing is if the antenna and mount were bought from a store and not modified the risk for stage 3 is low as long as there's no obvious issues. Main thing would be that the coax cable and connector don't have any obvious corrosion, cuts, flat spot or kinks.

BTW, antenna-wise the risk for harm only occurs when you transmit. So if you're not sure start with short transmissions. If it seems you're not hearing other stations well that's an indication of a poor antenna but there's no harm to the radio in having a mismatched antenna when receiving.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Where are you located? I have an SWB meter and can tune it well enough for you. Also, I can tune it for you at CM on Wednesday if that helps as well.

nsfw

Rock Stacker
I’m out in Byers. Gonna try to get to the meeting tomorrow, so maybe you or someone can tune it there. Thanks for offering.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m out in Byers. Gonna try to get to the meeting tomorrow, so maybe you or someone can tune it there. Thanks for offering.
nice. I will make sure that I have it with me just in case. I am the tall goofy dude that talks too much.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I just put my hands on it. I'll bring it with me just in case you show.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Also, it just occurred to me that we are using FRS at CM this year. We can still tune your antenna anyhow, so that you have another option for comms.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I was also looking forward to tuning my CB at CM so I'll hang out with you guys.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I was also looking forward to tuning my CB at CM so I'll hang out with you guys.
I can tune yours tomorrow if you plan to be at the shop.

nsfw

Rock Stacker
Also, it just occurred to me that we are using FRS at CM this year. We can still tune your antenna anyhow, so that you have another option for comms.
Awesome. Thanks. I’ll be there tonight. I’m doing the Kokopelli run, so CB is still required.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Awesome. Thanks. I’ll be there tonight. I’m doing the Kokopelli run, so CB is still required.
Kokopelli uses only tin cans and string. o_O It's an upgrade from smoke signals and whistles.