What am I missing?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I am going to be going 4.88s on my 80, adding the front ARB locker, and doing the front axle service all at once. Here is the list of what I am thinking about as of now, any other parts that should be replaced while all that is opened up? Bonus points for part numbers :)

1611091662197.png

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
bearing/install kits for both diffs

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah you need pinion shims and stuff. Are you doing solid spacer or crush sleeve?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah you need pinion shims and stuff. Are you doing solid spacer or crush sleeve?
great question. I have no idea what the differences/advantages are. I am open to ideas.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
I just read up on it, looks like I would want to go with solid. Any disadvantages to going with a soild?

fjc man

Rising Sun Member
I think the advantage to a shimmed solid spacer is you eliminate the possibility of the pinion bearing preload being loosened up by taking a boulder hit on input flange, causing unwanted additional compression of the crush sleeve.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If you're not sure, I'd talk with whomever is going to do your gear set-up before buying lots of stuff.
I'd use a Toyota crush sleeve unless the solid spacer would be a custom turned one piece unit (vs a shim stack) I'm no gear pro but have seen some super fine shims in use that failed on install leading to later issues.

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee
If you're not sure, I'd talk with whomever is going to do your gear set-up before buying lots of stuff.
I'd use a Toyota crush sleeve unless the solid spacer would be a custom turned one piece unit (vs a shim stack) I'm no gear pro but have seen some super fine shims in use that failed on install leading to later issues.
Good point. Maybe I will just stick with OEM and go with the crush sleeve.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I’d recommend talking to whomever you are getting to do the work and buying not only what they recommend but the brands they want to work with. Also I’d give them the chance to source their own parts. Maybe you’ve already had these discussions :)

solid spacer vs crush sleeve can be debated but the installer if they are experienced can walk you though what they prefer and why. Andy has some good input here. Both have pitfalls but a crush sleeve isn’t something that should automatically be ruled out. I certainly don’t have enough experience to debate the pluses and minuses of either but have destroyed both :)

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone actually had a crush sleeve fail? Busting a pinion is one thing but actually over-compressing a sleeve? I've only installed one but the force required to crush it in place was huge. It seems like a good alternative to using shims.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Has anyone actually had a crush sleeve fail? Busting a pinion is one thing but actually over-compressing a sleeve? I've only installed one but the force required to crush it in place was huge. It seems like a good alternative to using shims.
I have had a few fail.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Is your 80 still AWD? or do you have a part time kit?

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee