• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

welding question

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So for senior design we are going to be tensioning some wires between two poles. The poles are going to be 3" pipe and will be anchored on the bottom. At 5' and 8' above the ground we are going to have horizontal members welded to the vertical tube. These horizontal members are going to be about 1' long on each side of the vertical tube and we will be pulling on the ends of these. We were thinking of using a 3" pipe on each side, welded to the vertical piece, to create these horizontal members. Will the welds hold a 400+ pound load about 1' away?

Alternatively, what are some other designs that might work better? What if we used a smaller pipe dia.? Would it still hold?

Beater

Hard Core 4+
well the standard answer for this is "depends"

given proper prep, joint fitment and design, as well as good penetration, the weld will have a strength of 60, 70, or even 80kpsi, depending on the filler used, so a 400# constant load should not be a problem.

However, remember if you are using pipe, schd 40 stands for 40kpsi, and schd80 stands for 80kpsi.

Can you provide a drawing for what you are doing? The point of failure is most likely to be in the shape or design of the side piece. If merely a linear "pull" on the cable to the side piece to the post, the main area of stress will be the attachment point on the side piece.

remember, fabrication, as well as all actions in life depends on the following:
cleanliness, lubrication, and penetration

:cheers:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Or 4K on 1/16" sheet metal in your gas tank!!!:lmao:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Mr. Bad idea..

Well, Chili, I can't remember anyone accusing me of doing things the "right way."
I don't think my tank is much (more) bent than it is in this image:

Attachments

• bent fuel tank.JPG
    bent fuel tank.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 198
Matt,
Pay attention to the maximum bending stress at the base anchor location. Assuming you are pulling with 400 x 2 at the 8 ft. level, you are looking at 6400 ft.-lbs. of overturning moment. You need to check the crippling stress of schedules 40 or 80 pipe. If the welded joints are done properly I don't think you will have a problem there. :)

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Deerskin said:
Matt,
Pay attention to the maximum bending stress at the base anchor location. Assuming you are pulling with 400 x 2 at the 8 ft. level, you are looking at 6400 ft.-lbs. of overturning moment. You need to check the crippling stress of schedules 40 or 80 pipe. If the welded joints are done properly I don't think you will have a problem there. :)

dude - you GAVE it to him.... I was trying to hint at that and see if he got it...

:rolleyes:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
green machine said:
dude - you GAVE it to him.... I was trying to hint at that and see if he got it...

I didn't get the hint :D

But we already looked at that, that was first :weld:

Time to :weld:, :hill:-style! :hill: