welding help for cool cashola

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Soooo... got the 62 back from the 80 coil conversion and the geometry is a tad off in a few ways. I'm not even close to confident enough to do any welding on suspension items which is the reason I didn't do it to begin with, but now I need help. If anyone knows of a shop that can help redo some axle spring and link mounts, or anyone here that could, let me know. Doesn't seem like anything crazy but what do I know.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Soooo... got the 62 back from the 80 coil conversion and the geometry is a tad off in a few ways. I'm not even close to confident enough to do any welding on suspension items which is the reason I didn't do it to begin with, but now I need help. If anyone knows of a shop that can help redo some axle spring and link mounts, or anyone here that could, let me know. Doesn't seem like anything crazy but what do I know.
If you find someone here who is confident in helping you with the modifications, you could mess with it over at our place in Englewood, we have a welder and are getting a lift early next month...

satchel

Rising Sun Member
If you find someone here who is confident in helping you with the modifications, you could mess with it over at our place in Englewood, we have a welder and are getting a lift early next month...
That's very much appreciated. I would like to come down there and see y'alls setup regardless and am happy to help if you have any projects that need an extra hand.

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
can you post a few photos of what you are wanting done? I welded the 4 link on my 40 and it's held for nearly 10 years so far. I'm no pro by any means, but can get a solid weld, just doesn't look show quality.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Will do, I'm going to adjust my links and panhards to bring things into alignment first and see what hits, and I'll post some pics at that point. The springs are kinda in a C shape at the moment so I'm hoping once I straighten things up the clearances will widen.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I'll put this one here for reference before I move stuff around. The axle/bottom of spring needs to move to the left to center the axle, but the top of the spring is rubbing the frame. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually pushing out towards the frame like a "C" and the more I move the axle left the further the top of the spring moves away from the frame. Anyway, I'm going to do a little finagling and go from there.

1608656170620.png

74fj40

Hard Core 4+
I'll put this one here for reference before I move stuff around. The axle/bottom of spring needs to move to the left to center the axle, but the top of the spring is rubbing the frame. I'm starting to wonder if it is actually pushing out towards the frame like a "C" and the more I move the axle left the further the top of the spring moves away from the frame. Anyway, I'm going to do a little finagling and go from there.

View attachment 91424
Sometimes it’s as simple as clocking the coil in a different direction

Last edited:

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I was able to center the rear axle today and bring down the pinion angle into place. There is definitely stuff hitting, mostly nuts against springs under flex but I'm gonna test that more on the trails. The driver coil is hitting the frame solidly now, but I think your suggestion of clocking it, maybe about 180 will do the trick and I'm probably going to be good.

I found out the front end hits on a few different places with this conversion now when I put it in 4wd, so I'm gonna try and tackle those issues tomorrow and get it on a trail this weekend and see how it does.

Sometimes it’s as simple as clocking the coil in a different direction

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I finally got everything where I think it needs to be for the front and rear coil setup. Tested it on Switzerland trail this weekend and it did really well. I do have the coils hitting in the places I described earlier, but I think once I add weight to the back and end up putting a spacer in that it will solve the coil/frame rubbing. Not sure there is much I can do but reweld on the upper links hitting the coils at flex, but I'm thinking I'll let it rub for now and monitor it, so I think I'm good for now.
goat.PNG

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I finally got everything where I think it needs to be for the front and rear coil setup. Tested it on Switzerland trail this weekend and it did really well. I do have the coils hitting in the places I described earlier, but I think once I add weight to the back and end up putting a spacer in that it will solve the coil/frame rubbing. Not sure there is much I can do but reweld on the upper links hitting the coils at flex, but I'm thinking I'll let it rub for now and monitor it, so I think I'm good for now.View attachment 91957
WHY DIDNT YOU STOP BY?!

satchel

Rising Sun Member
WHY DIDNT YOU STOP BY?!
I've bugged you enough over the last 10+ years I figured you deserved a break;). But we do need to hit the trails some.

I got bored last week and decided to go down the HAM rabbit hole, just got my license, so I'm sure I'll be picking your brain at some point about that. Lots of info to read up on.

Not sure where you are these days. Does that mean you're around the Nederland area?

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Soooo... got the 62 back from the 80 coil conversion...
Love to have you put together a build thread. This is the kind of thing many of us have thought about over the years.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Love to have you put together a build thread. This is the kind of thing many of us have thought about over the years.
Sounds good, I'll post one up with more details.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good, I'll post one up with more details.
If you do end up needing a welder/fabricator, I know a guy. He’s mobile and helped me with my 60. He works at a shop but helps other folks out on his off hours. Let me know and I can ping him.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I've bugged you enough over the last 10+ years I figured you deserved a break;). But we do need to hit the trails some.

I got bored last week and decided to go down the HAM rabbit hole, just got my license, so I'm sure I'll be picking your brain at some point about that. Lots of info to read up on.

Not sure where you are these days. Does that mean you're around the Nederland area?
We're 2 miles from the trailhead. And anybody is welcome any time, including you Trey :)