Water and Gasoline Storage - Extended Range

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
My last trip to Utah was a backpacking trip in Dark Canyon last week. We gassed up in Moab and headed south on 191, then took 211 up past newspaper rock and headed into the wilderness area on 107, then out to our entry point on Sweet Alice Road near Youngs Canyon. The total mileage was right around 250 out to our put in point and back to Moab with a good bit of idling and winching on both travel days.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Moa...4215e157e!2m2!1d-109.9556496!2d37.8647755!3e0

Side note. This happens to be a really great access point into the canyon but I would not recommend it for inexperienced backpackers as there is no trail until you reach the confluence. If anyone is curious about our trip send me a PM and I will share the info I don't want to post it publicly as the area is still one of the few "unspoiled" areas in the state.

Of course this trip pushed the 80 right to its limits in terms of fuel capacity. I got back to Moab with ~1gal left in the tank. I would like to have the ability to stay off the grid a bit longer if desired. Normally I carry two 5 gal water cans and a 5 gal fuel can on my rear bumper. I hate my current fuel can as it has one of those stupid safety nozzles that tend to get more fuel on the user than into the tank. This trip had me thinking that I need to upgrade my fuel capacity, but I am not wanting to deal with the trouble and expense of adding a sub tank (although that would be awesome).

I am now considering adding some in vehicle water storage and picking up 3 jerry cans to keep on the bumper. That would give me an extra 15 gal (~150 miles) of range but I need a new solution for water storage. One of my wallyworld water cans has a crack anyways and leaks over a 4 gal fill.

Does anyone have experience with these tanks from Ironman? They look very attractive the the current discount. There are a few different models but I am looking at the 15L, again with the idea of extending our time off grid.
https://ironman4x4america.com/60l-water-tank-15-gal/

I have big dreams of building a slide in topper for my rear drawer system (currently a Dobinsons) so I can have the flat cargo area during the week and add the additional drawers and storage on top for trips. Considering picking one of the ironman tanks up to build into the system.

Any thoughts on water and fuel storage are appreciated. :headbang:

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
I hate my current fuel can as it has one of those stupid safety nozzles that tend to get more fuel on the user than into the tank.
Get a safety siphon. Real cheap, work great. https://safetysiphon.net/

Not sure about the extra storage for fuel/water. I usually rock 2 jerry cans and a 5gal scepter water can inside the truck. Sorry not much help there.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Get a safety siphon. Real cheap, work great. https://safetysiphon.net/

Not sure about the extra storage for fuel/water. I usually rock 2 jerry cans and a 5gal scepter water can inside the truck. Sorry not much help there.

Thanks for the link on the siphon. Looks like a great option and if it's long enough cans can just live on the bumper.

A 5 gal in the truck is usually sufficient for just me but on a 3 day weekend trip with the fiance and dog we can go through watwr pretty quick. If I'm doing a run or heavy exercising I'll usually go through at least 3l myself every day.

Maybe I should just drink more beer?

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
For sure. I usually slide the window forward and rest the can there. The greater height makes it siphon a little faster.

Sounds like you need to get some more cooler space for wobble pops.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Frontrunner has some similar to ironman. no first hand use though. I use the scepter fuel cans for water. I've generally been ok with 2 5gal and 1 2.5 gal. for water. I generally don't need to have extra fuel :)