• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Waldorf Mine Volunteer Day

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
Okay all... I heard back form Lauren and they would like to host the volunteer day for the 12th of September to build the buck and rail at the Waldorf Mine. Again, we’re asking for help with the fence on private property. It’s approximately 700 feet of fencing. Please let me know if you are interested in helping out.

Thank you

Aaron

Attachments

• soil sement and fencing.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 147
  • CONSTRUCTED WETLAND.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 172

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Interested

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I'm interested. I am scheduled to work that Saturday. If it goes into Sunday I can help.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Planning to be there.

Most likely make a full weekend out of it ( i'm off Fri-Sat) and get some other project items taken care of while up there.

:beer::beer:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Am I to understand that the red line in this picture is the proposed buck and rail fence location?
Thats ludicrous. That blocks off basically the entire parking area at Waldorf! We’ve already put up fence posts and barricades to keep people out of the wet lands. There’s no reason to block off the whole flat area at the mine site. Who the hell is making these decisions? Who is Lauren?
They blocked off the mill a couple years ago. Then they blocked the trail to the old cabin last year, and now this? Are they just gonna block off everything eventually? You can’t even camp out on the point where the old chimney is overlooking Georgetown any more.
I absolutely will not be party to this.
8F1A2FF4-9EBA-4202-BEC2-0051F3348DCF.jpeg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I wonder if they did an ESA to determine where the buck and rail would go? If they found elevated levels of contaminates that far down into the flat area then I could see how they would justify placing it there. From my understanding, the idea is to limit the spread of the mine waste and minimizing the ecological impact. My only source of information is what I hear from the meetings. If they did do an ESA, that would be something I would be interested in reading.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I would be up there to help if I was able to haul logs around right now.

I was up there today and there is a temporary construction type fence along the top. You can kinda make it out by the 3rd gen there.
T9+SXqFoTyidc7s5HlX31A.jpg

Hopefully that is where they are planning to put fence. The current parking area could hold like 30 vehicles, which is nice on a busy day like today. It looked like they had some of the supplies prepped with more coming up. Very cool log hauler on tracks in the air up/down spot around the corner.
WhfKWQnQR2SM5RZmadTE7w.jpg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
kind of like the blocking off of boulder wagon road :( we'll never get it back once it's done

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Am I to understand that the red line in this picture is the proposed buck and rail fence location?
Thats ludicrous. That blocks off basically the entire parking area at Waldorf! We’ve already put up fence posts and barricades to keep people out of the wet lands. There’s no reason to block off the whole flat area at the mine site. Who the hell is making these decisions? Who is Lauren?
They blocked off the mill a couple years ago. Then they blocked the trail to the old cabin last year, and now this? Are they just gonna block off everything eventually? You can’t even camp out on the point where the old chimney is overlooking Georgetown any more.
I absolutely will not be party to this. View attachment 88557

yes that is correct. They don’t want folks driving on the mine tailings and tracking them all over the place. Seems perfectly sensible to me. All of that area is not considered legal route. By the looks of it, there is still plenty of room for 15+ vehicles.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I wonder if they did an ESA to determine where the buck and rail would go? If they found elevated levels of contaminates that far down into the flat area then I could see how they would justify placing it there. From my understanding, the idea is to limit the spread of the mine waste and minimizing the ecological impact. My only source of information is what I hear from the meetings. If they did do an ESA, that would be something I would be interested in reading.

ESA? Environmental Study? They have done some pretty extensive studies in that area. It’s been a well discussed topic since at least 2015.

here were the proposals set forth in 2018

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd594030.pdf

Hope that helps.

They ended up using kind of a hybrid, non of which compromised any legal routes. They are trying to keep mining contamination from leaching into Leavenworth Creek, and furthermore clear creek. Giving up 10-15 illegal parking spots to do so seemed like very minimal impact on our cause.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Environmental site assessment (ESA). Soil sampling to see contamination levels compared to the known non-contaminated areas, contaminate delineation (where the boundaries of the contamination end), possible air sampling to see how much is carried in the dust and how far it travels before falling out of the air column, and water sampling up stream, at the point of entry, and down stream in multiple areas to see how long it stays mobile. They probably would have followed up with an environmental hazard assessment to see what type impact it has had, is having and will have on the bio diversity. This is stuff my dreams are made of!

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I will refrain from further commenting on the open forum about what I see in that report. I will say the decision seems to be beneficial to both offroad enthusiasts as well as Trout Unlimited. I think that if you want this area to be available in the future then we as a club need to show up with a strong presence and show them what we are willing to do to keep access open. If you want my thoughts and opinions on it feel free to shoot me a pm.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If I hadn’t already made plans this spring for a big trip with some friends, I’d be there. Sorry I won’t be there guys, but excited to see some photos of what y’all accomplish. In my eyes this is a win-win. It’s not often that a group like this is seeking middle ground. If we can help temper a middle ground mindset with large organized activist groups like this, it could really do a lot of good for both sides of the battle.

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
Team - I appreciate everyone that has reviewed this post and provided thoughts and feedback, but most of all I appreciate everyone that has volunteered their time to help out. After back and forth email with Lauren Duncan of Trout Unlimited we have a plan for Saturday. Whoever wants to drive to the site is very welcome to, otherwise you can carpool. We’ll be able to drive right to our work site so no hiking is required. There are no restrooms on site but there are restrooms at the visitor center where we’ll be meeting up.

Lauren will cover lunch (pizza) and drinks for us; so if the team could bring the following personal items.
  • Water and personal snacks
  • Warm coat and/or raincoat in case the weather changes
  • Hat, sunscreen
  • Work gloves
  • Long sleeve pullover to avoid scratches from the fence
  • Closed toe shoes/work boots or hiking boots
  • And anything else that makes for a comfortable, safe day.
Lauren will have the tools and screws that we need and she will have volunteer forms for everyone to sign before the we leave Georgetown.

The people I have that are either interested or planning to attend are as follows:

• Daniel Kap (DanTheMan)
  • Adam (On The Rox)
  • Perry Loughridge (bh4rnnr)
  • Jimmy (J1000)
  • Dominick (DomOfTheDead)
  • Bill (ChillBill)
  • Aaron Moeller (Outlander40)
I will be there (Aaron Moeller), however if people could confirm they will be up there I can provide a final head count and know who to look for on Saturday. As of Wednesday, we are planning to meet at the Visitor's Center at 10am and start our trek up. However, I will likely get to Georgetown around 915 and head to MountainBuzz for a little breakfast and to air down. I have mentioned to Lauren that is where we often meet. If anyone has any questions or last minute change of plans feel free to contact me at 303-888-1232.

Thank you

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey Aaron I'm planning on coming up, will likely go up Friday night and wait for you. I need to be back in town fairly early on Saturday though (anniversary) but should be able to help for at least a couple hours...

bummer you guys are meeting so late! Shoot it's going to be noon before you're even up there at the Waldorf site. Probably too late now, but if possible I'd suggest meeting way earlier, or up at the trailhead, or both.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I will be there! Also agree that we should start a little sooner but I don't have anywhere to be Saturday night.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I am still scheduled to work on Saturday. They haven't worked the past 3 times i was scheduled bit with the weather putting the kibosh on working this week its probably happening. I'll let you know if it changes.